How do I keep Mom from keeping food in her room?

I am constantly finding ants in my mothers room. She constantly snacks in her room leaving crumbs and keeps candy and salted peanuts in her room. Today the ants were in the glass with her miralax that I had just layed out. Of course they were next to the boxes of chocolate mints and chocolate covered cherries and Planters peanuts. This morning I though that things were going to quickly escalate between us about her continuing to keep food in her room. She is not senile, has all her faculties, this is a control and territory issue I believe. I backed off this morning but told her I was not bending over to clean ants and her still keep food in the room. I just had back surgery 2 weeks ago. I have to save my bending over to clean up after her 2 little dogs. Any suggestions would be helpful. It sounds terrible, daughter leaves mother in ant covered room. But short of a physical altercation which I would leave the house before things even got close to that do I do. She insists that if the seal is intact on the candy that it wouldn't attract ants, I don't know. All I know is the ants keep showing up in her room and she is the only one storing food in her room.Help!

19

Answers

We got a bunch of carpet beetles. We vacuumed them away, and now see either none, or one at a time.

Countrymouse It sounds like they are laying their eggs somewhere in or around the house. Have you checked the air vents? There could be something in there attracting them? You might want to have someone come to clean them out.. Just a suggestion...

Help, please! (And this'll teach me to be blasé about somebody else's infestation problem!) -

We have a sudden plague of flies. They have appeared from nowhere in my (grown up and hygienic) daughter's bedroom. We have searched (and sniffed) for dead things under floorboards; there is no obvious point of entry; the only attraction seems to be light. There are dozens and dozens of them, in waves, it is bizarre and disgusting - any ideas please???

I'm just going to share this... for no reason other than my kids and I wrote it back when I was going through chemo in 98
Kamikaze Dust Bunnies

Kamikaze Dust bunnies
rain down on me

blades from the ceiling fan
flinging them free

Under the bed creatures
spy tempting feet

webs on the wall
right there to see

feline stalking through
backyard prairie

obstacle course hallway
makes it too hard to flee

tomorrows treasures
just within reach

what fun would we have
if we were neat?

LA 1998

Clean is important. I'm allergic to mold. Most people can keep kitchens clean and keep food sealed up in there, and dining tables are typically swiped off and floors vaccuumed more often. My son fortunately is out of the house and room often enough I can go in there and get the trash and leftovers and dirty dishes out if he leaves any. Explaining that the room is not JUST his to keep any old way he wants, because it is CONNECTED to the rest of the house used to be more of a challenge I would hear ridiculous arguments about it!!

in other words what difference does it make even if it is your mom fault that aunts are in the room- in other words are you looking to find fault or are you looking to solve the issue?? turn your thoughts towards a solution and avoid having disagreements with mom. otherwise you can just welcome angry feelings between the two of you that will make you more miserable.

I bet most caregivers wish their problem with so simple. If you can't afford pest control I suggest you do a good cleaning up around and then spray a line of raid or some other insect repellent around the edges of the walls and then get her a candy dish that has a good seal on it. stop making an issue out of it in fact I would be buying her candy and put it in a beautiful new jar with a good seal. Empathy and compassion and pick your battles- be glad she isn't an alcoholic!

…???!!!

Jeanne, that is an incredibly good question. Yeah! If they're so smart, how come ants don't know to lie in wait in the dining room where it all happens, eh? I had honestly never considered it from that point of view.

In this particular case, though, I think the regular bedroom appearances are probably related to how long the food is in situ and how reliably it's kept in its containers. They also have to be able to carry their shopping home, which I suppose is why anything in a wrapper, even if it's not airtight, will pose insuperable logistical problems. Ants - it must depend on the type of ant, too - are remarkable in their ability to reconnoitre, forage, scent far-off food sources, etc. They will definitely know where in their territory there are crumbs to be counted on.

Quite admirable in its way, I often think, as I run to get help from my chickens with yet another nest I've dug up in the garden...

This shows my ignorance, and the fact I don't live in a climate hospitable to roaches, but why will eating in the bedroom attract insects to the bedroom but eating in the dining room won't attract insects to the dining room? What makes these two areas different? In the spring we seem to get ants trekking in whether there is something to attract them or not. They seem to appear in my office, my bathroom, and the kitchen. If there is spilled syrup or honey or something on a counter then that is where they head. I have never seen them in the bowls of wrapped candy we keep in several places. And certainly they have never gotten inside of a container. If you had your mom store her snacks in the kitchen, what would keep the ants from gathering in the kitchen? If she used the same storage methods that you would use for them in the kitchen, shouldn't that work in the bedroom?

As I say, I guess I just don't understand the issue fully.

What about food storage bags with the zipper seal? You could drive yourself crazy trying to figure out something to use, but if your Mom is not willing or of sound enough mind to actually use any product you find, the ants are still going to come marching in two by two. You may also wind up with roaches which live in your walls and if you find one, you will have at least 100! You will be faced with having to seek an exterminator. Mom needs to be eating in the dining room, not the bedroom, if it is not absolutely necessary.

Good Luck!