My MIL is in a nursing home 2 weeks with dementia and will be in long term care. She is very combative and I worry they could evict her. She has very high blood pressure. When admitted, 260/88. She will not take her meds, have any injections, and tears off medicine patches in the home. Her blood pressure is going nuts. We reinforce she must take them every time we see her, but no use. Last night I called the home and suggested they put them crushed in her food. They said, "what a great idea!". You mean to tell me $11,000 a month and not one person on staff thought to do this!? We are having issues with her clothes also at the home. Is this the norm? Can they think of solutions at all?

Find Care & Housing
Not all pills can be crushed. They put Moms in applesauce or yogurt. I don't think its illegal to put pills in food what is illegal is forcing a person to take them. Mom should be on a low salt or no salt diet. Once in a NH you are considered a resident. The facility is now your home. As such, even with Dementia, you cannot force them to do anything.

Please realize, Mom probably does not remember u enforcing she take meds. I think first thing to go is reasoning, processing and comprehending. Its a losing battle.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to JoAnn29

I'm not sure of the legality of putting her meds in her food, so, I won't comment on it. Has she been found to be incompetent? If not, she may have the right to refuse medications.

If she doesn't take the meds though, it sounds like she may be on her way to a stroke. I might discuss it with her doctor and maybe ask for a referral to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation and treatment. If she's that challenging, it may be that only a place like that would be able to provide the proper level of care for her and figure out what medications she needs in order to make her safe.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to Sunnygirl1

Mixing drugs into food is frowned upon so they needed your permission (and I imagine they weren't allowed to suggest it either). Ask that she gets an appointment with a geriatric psychiatrist to try and get her behaviour better managed - some people on the forum have had great success having loved ones spend time at a geri/psych facility to get their meds and behaviour under control.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to cwillie

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter