My Mom has low vision and I am noticing the she is not cleaning herself well after a bowel movement. Any ways to help? - AgingCare.com

My Mom has low vision and I am noticing the she is not cleaning herself well after a bowel movement. Any ways to help?

She cares for herself, bathing and dressing. I help her choose her clothes because she can't see. I don't want to make her feel like she can't take care of herself, although the cleanliness is a problem on several levels. I would appreciate any suggestions for ways of helping her.

28

Answers

1 2 3
After my hip replacement surgeries I had the problem of not being able to really reach "back there" for many weeks. The squirt bottle with warm soapy water helped for step one, the the "adult wash/wipes" helped for step two, having a dedicated trash basket easy to drop paper into close to the toilet helped for step three.A bidet is a great idea but too costly for some of us. It is hard to give over personal cleansing tasks to our kids but if done with respect it will help them to remember we changed their diapers long ago.....

Please don't flush those "flushable wipes"! My mother's plumbing backed up and the toilet overflowed and flooded the house to the tune of $20,000. The only good thing was that we were able to move her into a very nice retirement home apartment because the house repairs took so long. But it drained her bank account, and it would be nice to have that money now for future care.

At the beauty supply store, I found plastic squeeze bottles with longish spouts that can be filled with warm water to squirt on the perineal area. (They look sort of like the condiment dispensers you might find in a diner, only clear, not red/yellow.) Mom may not be able to manage using one herself, but it sure makes cleanup for the caregiver easier. This is the sort of thing that used to come home from the hospital after giving birth for cleansing the area and was called a peri bottle, but they're hard to find by that name. The bottles at the beauty store are actually for mixing and applying hair dye but they work great for cleansing.

Something tells me it is not low vision that is the problem. I know blind people who are IMMACULATELY clean and well dressed. My suspicion is that your mother is likely developing dementia.....and lack of hygiene is one of the classic signs, especially if this is a recent development.

The cleansing wipes are nice as long as they are not used exclusively in place of toilet tissue, because they will clog the works. I like the water-bottle-as-bidet idea; it's safe and efficient.

Meanwhile, I still think "mom" needs to be evaluated for dementia.

My mother has Alzheimer and she had the same issue. She would not clean up properly after bowels. So after much research I decided to get a Bidet attachment for her. I am highly satisfied so much so that i use it myself. Very convenient and easy to install. I got it from Amazon and as a matter of fact it costed me under 25.The only negative is that you won't get warm water.
amazon/gp/product/B0043D3ANE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In surgical supply stores they sell things call "Peri bottles". They're like those ketchup & mustard dispensers you would see at a picnic on the table---plastic with a "nipple" attachment that you squirt water out of. She can unscrew the plastic peri bottle, fill it with warm water & when she is done, she can rinse her backside with the water & then wipe with toilet paper.

Another thing is baby wipes. They are MUCH BETTER than those allegedly flushable wipes. Get Huggies "one and done" brand---they're thick & sturdy, and 2 wipes will clean an adult's butt off lickety split.

Bidet attachments run anywhere from $39.99 to over $1,000. At the top end you get temp control, lights and adjustable massage. whoopee!

Of course alcohol is a drying agent.. That's what you want. Remember I suggested 50% ( the other 50% is water.) Soap and water takes too long. You want something quick..... a fast easy wipe and then toss.

Veronica91...actually you can get Dettol through Amazon! :-)

amazon/DETTOL-First-Aid-Antiseptic-Liquid/dp/B000GCRX6G

Sorry, hit the wrong button.

They are NOT flushable, but I wrap them in a plastic grocery bag and throw them out with his Depends. Lysol type spray in the bag.

1 2 3