The 1st changed to a different type of care and she had to find another place. The 2nd was horrible all around and in 5 months she was hospitalized twice, and her dementia progressed rapidly due to anxiety. She is in the 3rd now and receiving Comfort Care, suggested by the dr because of how her dementia progressed. They keep her heavily medicated all day. Forcing Clonopin (sp?) down even while she was under the stupor from the last dose. My last visit was watching her sleep all day. She was trying to open her eyes and talk, but she couldn’t.

I live in FL and she is in NJ. I want to bring her to FL and looking for a nursing home that accepts Medicaid. I am assuming I can transfer her Medicaid from NJ to FL. What agency, if any, can I contact to help me with getting her here to FL and making sure all the paperwork is transferred correctly?

Before applying for Medicaid an irrevocable funeral payment of $10,000.00 was made to Choices NJ. I hope I can transfer it to FL. Does anyone have experience/suggestions for me?

I found out that yes, I have to apply in FL and let NJ know. The process takes about 30 days (maybe in a perfect world) because she has an active status, and NJ did the background already. FL uses that information.
The funeral payment trust fund “CHOICES” can be used throughout the US even though it is CHOICES NJ.
Reply to Linmom37
Countrymouse Jul 2, 2019
It sounds as if you've really got things moving, Linmom, well done! I'm so pleased for you, and hope you get her resettled near you very soon.
(4)
Hi! Best of luck to you & your mom. I’m disabled, & on SSI & Medicaid. Not sure if that makes a difference, but this is what I had to do. When I moved from 1 state to another state, I had to contact social security. It took 6 weeks of fighting with the operators on the phone (maybe you would have better luck just walking into a branch?) & asking for a supervisor to call me back (for some reason they wouldn’t put my phone request thru even though they told me they had, lost my request, or whatever it is they like to do) in order to get a phone call that took 30 seconds to get everything set up. The operators kept telling me I couldn’t do this, even though I was told that was what I needed to do. DON’T let them tell you that can’t be done till you speak to a supervisor. Also, ALWAYS get the name & number of the operators helping you so you have a reference to phone calls & file complaints if needed.
Reply to HarlieD
jjmummert Jul 4, 2019
One particular point of excellent advice here: go in person. Always more efficient and usually more accurate. And if anything is unclear, request time with the supervisor.

As I have aged and as technology has progressed and phone trees can now set me into a rage if it has more than 2 branches...I aim for in person visits.
(5)
Talk to a social worker (your mom's nursing home should have one) about applying for Florida's Medicaid. All nursing homes are awful because it is institutionalized care and "comfort care" basically means keeping them doped up until they die. Sorry it's the truth. At least you will be able to visit and keep an eye on her which helps with the quality of her care. Getting her to Florida will be quite another ordeal. A nursing home transfer is not considered a medical emergency so chances are, the cost of transportation will not be covered. If she is on comfort care, how can she make the journey?
Reply to cetude

Once you get her status changed, I wonder how you will get her there. She is on comfort care and medicated. That is the same as hospice, hence the clonopin. She will no longer need to be hospitalized unless comfort care is revoked. If she cannot transfer chair to chair, she will not be able to fly. She will need to transfer from wheelchair to the plane seat by walking. Otherwise it will be a fixed wing medical aircraft. Exhorbatant! Same with driving. You will have to make stops.

Medicaid is not transferable from state to state, but being on it in one state can make it easier to get approved in new state. Your mother or you as power of attorney will have to apply for Medicaid in Florida. By the way, can she even travel? Medicaid and Medicare will not pay to transport her from NJ to FL. You could begin process by touring facilities near you to see if you like them and if they have open beds once Medicaid is approved. You can also contact the area agency on aging in your county/region to see about advocates to help with the process of locating an available bed and applying.
Reply to Guestshopadmin

I thought that you actually had to be already living in the state in order to apply which makes it hard for new application. If possible, maybe one month at a new facility would have to be paid up front (I know that's nearly impossible) so she can get her foot in the state while the new medicaid application is pending. Or stay at your home with 24 hour care while pending? Just thoughts. And I don't think the transport will be covered.
Reply to SofiaAmirpoor

Yes you don’t just “transfer” Medicaid. You have to apply in each state, because each state has their own Medicaid programs. Florida does require you to be a legal Florida resident in order to qualify for their Medicaid programs
Reply to worriedinCali
Linmom37 Jul 2, 2019
I didn’t think about the resident status even with all the thinking I have been doing. Thank you!
(2)
I don't think Medicaid is transferable state to state.  It is a federal program but each state has its own rules and regulations.  You would have to apply in Florida, I believe.  I don't know about the funeral payment.
Reply to rovana

I live in Florida and my mom in GA. Medicaid does not transfer state to state. You'll have to get her requalified and she'll need to be living here to do that. I don't know where you live but the nursing homes have a person there that can help you do this. I would find 2/3 that you could move her to and talk to them about it. I don't know about new Jersey but Florida was much more expensive that GA so my mom is in an assisted living in GA. She just moved in the end of April and I'm still getting her Medicaid qualifed. It's different for nursing home. I believe it's much faster.
Good luck!!
Reply to Bob14930

As already said in previous comments, you will need to apply for Medicaid in Florida once your mom is there. It will be a little easier since she already has it from another state. Each state has its own way of doing things though. Your situation as a whole is a very big undertaking and, for your sake, would best be handled by a professional. There are professionals out there called Geriatric Care Managers or more recently updated to being called Aging Life Care Specialists. They are certified in Care Management for seniors and would be very helpful in all aspects of your situation. From applying to Medicaid, to finding appropriate facilities in Florida, to making transportation arrangements to get your mom there safely. Once at the new facility, the Aging Life Care Specialist can also be an advocate for your mom. They may be especially helpful in making sure your mom is receiving the appropriate amount of meds while carefully balancing that with her quality of life. There is no doubt this is going to be a challenging and daunting undertaking but by hiring a professional it will ultimately save you time, money and a lot of frustration. These professionals have your mom's best interest at heart and are committed to assisting you in the best way possible too. Unfortunately, their services are not covered under insurance. To find an Aging Life Care professional in your area go to this website, www.Aginglifecare.com and search for a professional in your state. I hope this is helpful and I wish you all the best.
Reply to Teamspencer5870