My Mom is becoming forgetful with short term memory. Any advice? - AgingCare.com

My Mom is becoming forgetful with short term memory. Any advice?

Like repeating a question, do you want more coffee. Or can I get you anything else. She saw a dr. for her annual physical. The testing they did for Medicare patients seems to be ok. However, on her written report from the dr. under neurological, there was a colum for dementia and a number 17 after that. Not sure what that means. I suggested to my mom that she/we call the dr after the 1st of the year. Any thoughts?

1

Answer

Kathy I think that number refers to her score on a memory test. You might look it up and see. MMSE is one that comes to mind. I think the doctor would have said something to you if it is dementia. Memory problems alone are not enough to diagnose dementia. You might want to look up dementia online to see. One very good video is Teepa Snow on utube, "10 signs of Early Dementia". Also, many other things could be responsible for memory problems, ie, drugs, depression, etc. Ask the neurologist.