Mom constantly complains of stomach pains and constipation however will not take her psyllium fiber and hydrate properly on a daily basis. She only does this when she is already constipated, and then can't figure out why it's not working. Always claims she'll be compliant from now on, and isn't. Always complains about the same thing and yet when prompted to take her fiber and drink water she has a constant excuse.

How I remember being where you are! My Dad complained every single day about his "bowels" but would not follow any doctor recommendations or known curatives! So we had to sneak fiber and water into his diet.

There are several cereals that contain fiber like raisin bran and cheerios and the milk helps with hydration. My dad also loved an apple salad made of apples, raisins and pecans in a mayo and lemon juice dressing. We placed a tasteless fiber additive into the apple salad dressing, mashed potatoes, buttermilk, and anything else with a slightly thicken texture. I even started making Dad's favorite blue cheese dressing just so I could add the fiber product (which I cannot remember the name of now).

Remember hydration doesn't have to be just drinks. If your Mom likes ice cream, popsicles, cucumbers, tomatoes, grapes, jello, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc. those can be used to get her water intake up too. When his salt take was very limited my grandfather like the flavors of Diet Rite sodas (0 calories, 0 sodium).
Reply to TNtechie

I sympathise with the frustration.

All those decades of them telling us "a pinch of prevention is worth a pound of cure!" and now? Ha! I always suspected they were all talk...

What are your mother's favourite foods? Any she can be relied on to guzzle down purely because she likes them?

I should forget all about her compliance, just operate on the assumption that her understanding is now too faulty to help and approach this as you would any other mechanism you want to fix.

On the hydration front, she just isn't going to drink enough without frequent, regular prompts. It gets tedious, I know, but at least if you don't live in hope you won't be disappointed. Again, she'll drink more if she really likes what you're offering. Water would be best, of course, but if she likes orange squash with ice cubes and a slice of lemon in it get her a hi-juice version and clink glasses.

Any trouble lifting, holding or drinking from cups/glasses independently?

What has her doctor got against probiotics?

As I asked in your other thread, have you thought about a geriatrics doc? Has she been seen by a gastroenterologist?

And is this an anxiety thing?

add a slice of lemon wedge to her water daily may help. coffee is a "GO TO" as well.
Reply to MAYDAY

dried plums should help. Keep it fun, how about some high fiber frozen fruit cocktail blends with psyllium fiber in it that she cannot see or taste?

Metamusil is same thing, right? mix it as a frozen fruit treat. Make it fun and happy!!
Reply to MAYDAY

I already cook lots of veggies for her. It doesn't seem to work. She won't take the probiotics unless a doctor tells her to take them, and they won't. I'm currently torn between fighting with her to take the damn Metamucil and drink the water or just ignoring her complaints. Both are hard choices. Thanks for the advice.
Reply to Mikkimball0664

Coffee is good. Apple juice. The probiotic thing is good. Maybe she would do better with a mild laxative.

Does she like hamburgers or meatballs? I used to grind up oatmeal and mix it into ground meat for extra fiber when my kids were younger. Also finely chopped celery, spinach and any other green I could hide.

If she takes her pills, give her a probiotic daily, she help regulate her.
Reply to DollyMe

I find psyllium unappetising to take, and prunes are a bit drastic. I prefer to get the fibre in my ordinary food. Easy ideas include bananas, simple soup made with a tin of cooked beans mixed with diced tomatoes, sauce with grated carrot added in, whole meal seeded bread, mandarins, unpeeled potatoes (I microwave thick slices and then fry them for a nice brown surface). I've found that everyone in the family says no to a whole apple but eats it readily if I cut it into wedges with the core out. If it’s part of every day’s diet, you don’t have to take ‘something special’.
Reply to MargaretMcKen
Isthisrealyreal Jun 18, 2019
Margaret, not trying to contradict you, but some medications can stove up the healthiest digestive tract.

You are correct that lots of natural fiber is best and should be eaten everyday even if something needs to be added to get hydration into the bowels. An apple a day keeps the doctor away is a truthful statement and they clear up acne.
(1)
Milk of Magnesium works better than stool softeners. Works w/in 24 hours.
Reply to Slekker
Mikkimball0664 Jun 18, 2019
sometimes she complains that that doesn't work---she waits too long then we have to use a combination of prune juice and milk of mag, and then she sometimes gets diarrhea. Does anyone know if probiotics are good for the elderly?
(0)
I would put her on Miralax, psyllium is hard to swallow and could potentially cause an impaction if there is not enough hydration taking place.

Miralax mixes with any fluid and you don't even know it is there.

If her doctor prescribes it, she could possibly get it cheaper than over the counter. Definitely worth checking out.
Mikkimball0664 Jun 18, 2019
she's allergic to MiraLax, and when she does take her fiber(only when she's already constipated) I make sure she drinks a lot of water because I've told her what could happen
(1)
Put some pureed prunes in the gravy.
Reply to Sendhelp
Mikkimball0664 Jun 18, 2019
that's a good idea. Maybe I'll start pushing that.
(1)