Be very careful. Do not fall for any of these insurance companies that advertise “no one will ever be denied” and “no physical exam required”.

My husbands mother fell for it and took out a policy on my husbands father. Of couse, she did not read the pages and pages of fine print where all the disclaimers were written. These disclaimers denied payment to anyone who had any sort of preexisting medical condition or passed due to a number of age related conditions.

My husbands father was in terrible health at the time - the man should have never been accepted for coverage. Yes - my MIL should have done her homework but this was a basically uneducated woman always looking for a fast buck - along with her own age related decline.

So - long story short, the insurance company refused to pay after my FIL dropped dead from a heart attack. My husband played hardball with them and was able to get all the money MIL had spent on premiums refunded to her. But I tend to think that was a rare exception to their way of conducting business.

Remember - if it sounds too good to be true, it likely is. Be careful.
Reply to Rainmom

By the way, if Mom passes, you are not responsible for payment of any bills outstanding. Just the funeral expenses.

I agree with everyone. Life insurance is expensive the older you get. If Mom is "feeble" I doubt if she would pass the health exam. Plus I think the insurance has to be in force for 2 yrs before you can get any money.

You could try an insurer like Colonial Penn but as said, be careful.

The price of insurance is astronomical for the elderly. There’s also no such thing as a “cheap” funeral. Even if you skip the visitation, embalming, limousines, etc. Funeral homes charge several thousand dollars before they even actually do anything, “professional services”, they call it. Swallow any qualms (if you have any) about cremation and go that route.
Reply to mollymoose

NO. Think about a simple direct cremation if funds are not available when she passes. Depending on what part of the country you are in, it may be less than $2K.
Reply to janerides

Rather than life insurance,start saving a little at a time towards funeral insurance. It acts more like an investment with no i surance strings attached. Be mindful that the policy will not make up for lost time. Stop by a funeral home. The money invested in a policy will make some interest and it is portable.
janerides Nov 19, 2018
As a former funeral service professional, I would say..get a policy in force asap. It should pay full face amount after two years...but at her age, it will be expensive.
(0)
You need life insurance if you have dependants who would be in financial trouble without your income, or if you have a mortgage on your house. That's it.

Most of the insurance providers who offer funeral plans decked out as 'life insurance' have a minimum six month term before their policies will pay out. It is unlikely you will find one which turns out to be worth the premiums.

Is this likely to be a major worry for the family?

Are you asking about one of those policies they advertise on television that claims to pay for funeral expenses, bills, etc. ? They claim they will insure anyone at just about any age for a few dollars a month. I’d be very careful,and read the fine print on those. As far as getting life insurance for her, I believe your premiums would be astronomical, and as Barb asks, “Why?”

Why does mom need life insurance?