Mom insists there is water being sprinkled on her from the neighbor upstairs. Could it be dementia?

She has a four poster bed and had me put a mattress cover over the top of her bed and a fitted sheet on one side. I've closed the vent completely, and there is no water source above her head other than a sprinkler in case of fire. And it's very secure. When she lived alone the neighbor above her was stalking her and he was ordered to move.

18

Answers

For some people, the complaints and reports of harassment may just be attention getters...some people just never outgrow this. Still, they can be caused by disease, medications, illnesses, etc. How can you ever really know? I don't have the answers, either. Just a lot more questions.

As far back as I can remember my mom NEVER got along with the neighbors. Our family and the neighbors would be friends for awhile then mom would say I couldn't talk to the kids anymore because their parents did something to make her mad. Fast forward thru the years and many neighborly fights later, she was still at it when she bought her last home. I'd prayed for this to finally be over but no. She thought the neighbor upstairs was selling pot and called the cops. Then she said he was harassing her, calling her at all hours. I forwarded her calls to my phone...nothing happened. I told her I'd believe her when something could be proved, she couldn't. It would've been easier to blame it on dementia but she didn't have it. She didn't take much medicine until her last few years. I never knew what to blame it on. She never admitted she had a problem. It was frustrating for all of us.

Gosh I have been there with mom. Sometimes it's meds sometimes it's her dementia. I have learned that most of the time I just acknowledge what she says and change the subject or change the room she's in to not give her so much stimulation and that does wonders for her. It's always on a day to day basis. Sometimes she says there is water on the floor too and there is nothing there. The reason I do acknowledge it is because once in awhile she is seeing something that is there so I don't want to blow her off. It's tough but you can only do the best you can. Sometimes just redirecting or changing the subject works. I keep a calendar for mom of things that she does to see if I can say what has changed meds or something and that helps. It's amazing how the days are ok but when the sun goes down she changes. Hang in there and know that your mom is in there somewhere and just do the best you can. Patience is the best or if you need to walk away. I know sometimes if I stay with mom she seems to get worse about something and most of the time she has gotten over it or has calmed down. Good luck.

I think sometimes these things are just from old age.....my mother, who is 87 and does not have dementia, told me one night that she had to sleep in her tv room because she heard "animals" scratching in the heat vent.....
Another time she said "do you realize that there is something trapped under the wallpaper in the bathroom? I know, because I saw it moving -- don't you see it moving?"
Needless to say, I did NOT see or hear anything. I find that the older she gets, the older she hears, sees and smells things that are not there. One night she complained that someone in the house was smoking marijuana and that she was going to call the police!!
If it continues or worsens I would certainly speak to her physician. The truth is that at their age, they are on so much medication that anything can happen!!

While I'm waiting for this site to close my account (I was checking to see if it had yet been deactivated) , I saw your posting and had to ask you this: you said there was a vent above her. Is this an air conditioning vent? If yes, is the ac on? B/c these vents do drip condensation. Could it be that simple? I hope it is . Or the sprinkler malfunctioning?

PS: Site monitor, I still want my acccount closed . Thank you.

Ok, thanks Jeanne. I think I'm a little over-sensitive about possibly being offensive or dogmatic. I don't mean to be either. Sometimes ( mostly) I am pretty direct. I realize we are communicating on a sensitive level. Just wanted you and everyone to know I was aware:) That's all. xoxo

Oh Gee, Christina, I didn't have your response in mind at all when I wrote mine. I think it is good that we all can suggest possible causes. I'm just also glad that Aff1rm348 is also seeking the opinion and advice of a specialist.

Also consider the possibility she might be overmedicated. When this happens, it's easy for the thin membrane between reality and fantasy to become blurred. Here's an example:

While on morphine after major surgery back over 10 years ago, I'd be raising my hands to snatch the frigging parakeets flying and sh___ng on my face. Since my mouth was wired shut, I'd be writing down messages for the nurses: "Call animal control;" "Do you know it's illegal to have pets in an IC unit?;" "Wipe this parakeet dung from my face;" "Do you see them flying all over the ceiling?" ... Are you blind?" ... How come I see them but you don't?" Things on the wall were moving, oxygen lines turned to snakes. Was I demented? It looked like it.

Whatever medications she's on, research the side effects.

Sorry, I should have said that I have felt this sensation, myself, from taking certain meds. I was told by the doctor that neuropathy could be caused by this. I did not mean to infer that I was guessing what was wrong with your Mother.
Thank you, Jeanne, for gently reminding me of how I said that:)

Poor Mom! Something is causing the sensation of water on her skin. Her brain is misfiring in some way. Whether that is an early indication of dementia or something else entirely is not for us to guess. I am certainly glad you are taking her to the doctor about this.

Mom is lucky to have you looking out for her!

If you have time, please come back and keep us updated. We learn from each other.