My mom is currently hospitalized due to increased confusion. - AgingCare.com

My mom is currently hospitalized due to increased confusion.

My mother believes we are "hired" actors to be her family and have been plotting to have her hospitalized. She wants to have us arrested and refuses to see us. It is just the 3 of us, no other family. We have been caring for her for several years but it is just recently the confusion and agitation started. She was in a nursing home for PT rehab due to poor mobility as a result of significant fluid and weight loss. Her sleep patterns are all over the place and she has been refusing to eat. She has had multiple hospital stays since June due to the fluid problem. In some areas she seems very clear but when it comes to me and my dad, she is convinced we are other people and out to get her. She has accused me of stealing their money, remortgaging their home, etc. We don't know if it's dementia, the Dr's are saying delusions and some sun downers right now.

25

Answers

1 3
-remember it is NOT her fault, nor yours, that these type hallucination occur. If I moved and visited Mom as much as she hallucinates I would not only need a Lear Jet, but a private pilot & a local hanger (I am only VFR - visual flying, a Lear jet requires IFR-instrument...) - of which I have neither! KEEP your sense of humor!!!!!! -we all love you & what you are trying to do to help your Mom

Blindfold?! My mom never would have tolerated that! Would have made the situation much worse.

Here is something to try: The syndrome may be sight driven where there is no emotional de-bonding because they see their loved one. Try talking to them on the phone and see if they feel the bonding. Try all the senses eliminating one at a time. Then two at a time. If you find it is a sight driven debonding, then you can bindfold them when you visit or phone them and say you are sending over a friend to help them (someone they don't know with a code password which would be you).

#1 Get a mental eval stat!
#2 What meds is she currently taking?
#3 Is she taking Lasix for the edema?
#4 Determine the reason for sleeplessness
#5 Determine the reason for not eating
#6 Are her teeth a problem and thus, not allowing her to eat food?

Read through the symptoms of Lewy Body Dementia. The beliefs and behaviors your describe are common with Lewy Bodies. This second most common form of dementia feature sudden declines in functioning as opposed to the long, slow decline of Alzheimer's. Print out the symptoms and take them to her doctors. Many are not familiar. It's a good idea to get a diagnosis because folks with Lewy Bodies are hyper-sensitive to to anti-anxiety meds and typical anti-psychotics.

My mother with dementia hasn't gone down this route and hopefully never will. I feel so bad for those of you going through this. It makes the dementia ordeal orders of magnitude worse. At least when my mom gets furious at me for suggesting she needs a bath, she knows who she's snapping at!

I wonder if bringing photos would help, as Johnny J mentioned, and also telling stories of your growing up years, family anecdotes, vacations, first day of school, etc. "Mom, do you remember when....?" She may forget that she is talking to an "impostor" for a few minutes while you both reminisce.

Best to you and your dad. Hang in there!

I am going through this now with my father. He is at home. He decided last week my mom is a "scam artist" that is keeping him hostage and stealing his money. He no longer recognizes us. He is starting to leave the house and walk around outside if my mom takes a nap. He has recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's is likely present as well. It's horrible and it's ruining my life rapidly. I feel for you. I am an only child so there is me and my mom. I have no solutions, I am only trying to keep my life intact as I receive daily phone calls, visits, etc. from my dad thinking he needs to get away from that house (they live within a block of me). Even after only 2 weeks I can see my work/business suffering and I think my husband is growing weary of the daily gloom, doom and drama. Not to mention my new found depression. It sucks big time.

I was wondering if having family photos along would help. It does end up contradicting her, yes, but may also help calm her mind that you are the people who care for and love her

My mom was given dilaudin in ER also...and morphine and epidural before one (1) surgery supposedly to reduce pain & pain medication. Eight (8) day hospital stays three (3) times. Norco/Lortab (it did the trick within seconds) was given thru drip to snap her out of outrageous behavior more than once-like taking all her clothes off, trying to rip out her drip & catheter, trying to get out of hospital bed with broken leg twice, ranting uncontrollably, physically stronger than I could imagine. Very stressful no way you could leave her alone. Just know the staff doesn't come in as often whether you're there or not, there aren't enough of them (my experience). Be sure you can reach the nurse's button cause the patient doesn't know what it is for or be sure you can reach your cellphone to call the nurse's station if you need help Really happened! The nursing home rehab is about the same. Just be there or have somebody there when you can't. Take care

What an enlightening commentary on Capgrass. My thoughts are bring her home, old surroundings, pictures, clothes, music family pictures to rejuvenate. I kind of feel that at that stage her GP visit might be a refresher.

1 3