My Mom is interested in having frozen meals delivered, due to her blindness. Any recommendations? - AgingCare.com

My Mom is interested in having frozen meals delivered, due to her blindness. Any recommendations?

My mom has Medicaid.

2

Answers

Keith, in regard to frozen meals, are you referring to what we use to call "TV dinners"? Some grocery stores have joined on-line grocery ordering but that would mean you would need to do the ordering for your Mom.... then the order will be home delivered for a delivery fee. But then would be the question of reading the directions on the TV dinner packing. Such food items are packed with high sodium.

I don't believe Medicaid has anything to do with helping paying for groceries. Your Mom, if she is on limited funds, would need to qualify for food stamps [I believe it is now called SNAP.... google USDA Snap].

Keith, check out Meals on Wheels; the meals won't be frozen but will be warm so that they can be eaten right after delivery. Our service delivers a meal around lunchtime, and generally double meals before a holiday. There's also an option for weekend meals.

The cost in our area is only $3 per meal.

If your mother specifically wants frozen meals, you could contact Schwan's, a home food service with a variety of frozen products.

• Learning how to eat wisely is crucial for aging adults and their caregivers. Discover the science behind why we crave unhealthy foods that are loaded with sugar and fat.
  • Many popular warm-weather foods are nutritionally dense, offering the added bonus of helping a senior get the vitamins and nutrients they need to remain healthy.
  • I spend lots of computer time reading about new studies concerning health, seniors, and medicine. I occasionally get excited about something, but I have to remember: those studies are usually flawed... in many ways.
  • A well-balanced diet is a significant factor in our health and longevity. Studies have shown that reducing consumption of animal products has a number of beneficial effects including a longer lifespan and a decrease in illness.
  • How to read food labels so elderly people with medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and osteoporosis eat a healthy diet.