My Mom has trouble swallowing her pills. What else can I try? - AgingCare.com

My Mom has trouble swallowing her pills. What else can I try?

I have tried jello, pudding, applesauce and she does not like these. I cut her big pills in half.

3

Answers

See if any of them are available as a liquid, or as a capsule or coated tablet. Sometimes the dry, powdery tablets are the ones that get stuck.

The doctor can order a swallowing test.

thanks i'll try it

Have her doctor write you a referral to a speech therapist. The speech therapists at my mom's nh taught her how to duck her head forward to swallow, rather than to look up. It works like a charm.

• Safely dispose of old medications twice per year on National Drug Take Back Days in October and April.
  • There aren't any truly clear cut answers when it comes to treating health conditions with herbal medications, but here are some important pros and cons to consider.
  • Medication-related problems, such as drug interactions, are the fourth most costly “disease.” The use of medication becomes more and more complicated with each medication added and how each is used. Here are some tips to prevent medication related problems.
  • Taking a medication outside of its expiration date may seem harmless, but it can have toxic results. Learn how to store medications properly to ensure your safety and their effectiveness and the best ways to dispose of drugs once they’re out of date.