My Mom has dementia and has recently been hospitalized with A fib and a UTI. Can we stop services and go on hospice or what?

13

Answers

My mother has had Afib for more than 5 years. She is now 103. Early this year she had a UTI and I thought it was curtains until I found out the culprit. It's an easy cure. My mother is back working in her garden and enjoying her cat. Don't give up on your loved one over a UTI. Hospice means ready to die. No preventative care, and only keeping them comfortable until they die. UtI does make them act crazy, but it's reversable almost immediately upon taking the antibiotics..

I wonder if the original poster has hospice and nursing homes confused? Or perhaps what they're looking for is in-home health care. Just a thought.

No, they prevent [some] strokes, other meds are used to control heart rate. Sorry for lack of grammatical clarity.

Anti-coagulants DO NOT control heart rate or blood pressure.

My mother has mild cognitive impairment (beginning of Alzheimer's). Her health is really frail (heart, diabetes, kidneys, COPD, and other issues and take 13/15 pills x day to control those issues.). She's gone through the FIB and UTI conditions and she is still managing well with meds treatment and caring. What makes you think your mother is ready for hospice care? Hospice is for the short term terminally ill. It doesn't seem to me yours is there yet. It sounds you are not well informed, are rushing and getting all uptight and nervous about the unknown future. Getting informed and learning as much as you can ahead of time about what steps are actually needed to take as your mom's age and health issues progress is the best approach. Know that it's not a clean-cup process. It's a step by step as things change. You need to look at it day by day, and not get overwhelmed. Just saying and trying to help here...

If your using a nursing agency, the case will have to be closed & reopened with the physicians order.
Is "Mom" near death?
She is in need of Hospice??? I believe, being an R.N., that it is done by someone in social services or home health care; they would approach you if hospice was indicated. Physicians order is required.

A fib can cause strokes which greatly impair quality of life; but if you want to use only whatever oral meds there are to safely anti-coagulate and control heart rate to avoid any heart symptoms, rather than put her through cardioversion or a cath or anything more invasive, that would be reasonable. Likewise, you might treat UTIs with oral antibiotics but if IV antibiotics are too burdensome, don't do that. Stopping long-term preventive type meds that are having side effects may make sense too.

You can attend to quality of life first and foremost with or without going on hospice.

I probably should put this on the Kevorkian post - I ethically favor the position of not removing ordinary care and absolutely not hastening death by any primary deliberate means, but consider it very permissible to omit burdensome care that limits quality of life with the intent of prolonging it. Some people do better without some interventions - in some studies, patients switched to hospice or comfort care live longer than those doing "everything possible."

If you are feeling frustration and burnout that can be very, very normal. Do your best to hang in and try to make thoughtful choices rather than all-or-nothing ones, in consultation with Mom's caregivers. That way if any good memories can still be made and positive experiences can still be had, you and Mom can have them, and in the end when it is over - could be a while, could be soon - you have no regrets.

Hospice care is reserved for patients whose illness is deemed fatal and irreversible. Hospice care is palliative.

Both A Fib and UTIs are successfully treated and do not necessitate hospice care.

Hospice care is for the dying.

Mom has to WANT Hospice. It's not up to us, it's up to Mom and her MD. You siblings need to sit down and come to agreement on things, because you are burned out.

The mental effects from a UTI can mask dementia, or make already existing dementia worse. Afib is entirely manageable with medications. Neither condition is terminal, & hospice is for terminal conditions like cancer or ALS & end-of-life comfort care. I don't know why you'd want to "stop services". More information is needed.