Mom has pneumonia and is in transitional care. What's the best way to support her?

How low can her O2 sats get before she needs readmitted to the hospital? Mom was in the hospital for 6 days with bacterial pneumonia, and released to transitional care because she was very weak and unable to go home. She has been there about 5 days now. Friday I thought she had turned a corner for the better, but tonight Monday I went in to see her and she was burning up with fever, not very alert and although she knew where she was, she was wasn't making much sense when she talked. I've seen her like that when she was overmedicated and sick...kind of like she was time traveling in her mind. She said her O2 sats had been 57 this morning! She is normally on 3 litres and stays around 88-95. Considering the pneumonia, I would expect her sats to be on the low end of that right now, but 57 is downright dangerous. They cranked her up to 6 liters and left her there all day, and her sat was 86 tonight on that. I had to round up the charge nurse to see what was going on, and he got the respiratory nurse to come in and assess her. I'm worried that her sats will go down again...shouldn't they have taken her to the ER or at the very least called me if it was that low? I'm worried that she'll have organ failure and brain damage if it gets that low again and no one notices. At least in the hospital she's monitored continuously and an alarm goes off when it gets low. I just wish I knew how much to expect of this facility, because I can't be there 24/7, obviously. She's feeling so awful, aches all over and can barely move...can't even turn herself over to her other side in the bed without help, and it seems she's getting worse instead of better. What's the best way to support her right now? The nurses are very nice and attentive when I ask for something for her, but I worry about when I'm not there.

35

Answers

1 2 3 4
amicable: Thinking of you ... hugs.

Thanks so much Churchmouse. Yes, posted just today EST. Just knowing people know how I feel helps a lot. Hugs.

I refused to go to rehab felt I was too ill for that zoo so I came home and sure enough I had to be admitted to a different hospital three days later.
Good wishes for your Mom Amicable Keep vigilant.

amicable: Thank you so much. Oh, I am so glad to hear that your mom is rounding the bend towards recovery!

Oh Amicable, that's so discouraging!!. Good thoughts coming mom's way!

In the hospital, is she being seen by pulmonology?

When did you post, Amicable? It's 20:54 here = 3:34pm EST.

I'm sorry you're both going through this. Please keep updating, thinking of you even though it doesn't help :(

Darn! Out of the rehab for one day, back in the hospital the next. Spent a week there and is back to rehab. Delayed getting her anxiety meds, and now she's running another fever. I know she feels like a hamster on a broken wheel....so do I.

Just a comment on the use of vaporub on someone who's getting oxygen: if the vaporub contains petrolatum, it should NOT be used for someone on oxygen.

llama, I'm so sorry you suffered that. Just wanted to update everyone...it seems there has been some recent turnover in the NH, and mom is thankfully recovering, and is coming home in a few days. We will have PT, OT and bathing help as well as nursing visits. She's weak, but very motivated to come home! I do have to say that for the most part the care has been very decent with that one concerning exception. Turns out they had fully qualified respiratory staff on hand, so they did the same things they would have done in the hospital to get her sats up, and without the disturbance of readmitting her. I appreciate everyone's input here! Meanwhile she's doing better, and since there's someone to look after her, hubby and I don't have to worry for the weekend and will take a short respite :) (take it when you can get it, right?!) Thanks again everyone for your advice and prayers!

Babalou and churchmouse: I was about to rescind my post until I went over the op's message with a fine-toothed comb. While I am acutely aware of the germs in hospitals, this woman should have been called an ambulance and taken to the er stat! The daughter had to go looking for head/charge nurse...Good grief! They weren't even aware (and dare I say caring) that her mother was that ill! These facilities are sometimes a joke. My mother was in the nh in the family meeting was told "Maam, you're too well to stay here...The pt gave his 2 second montage and left." they got it dead wrong...Literally...In under 48 hrs my late mother suffered an ischemic stroke there, was transported to the er and deceased!

1 2 3 4