Pre-planning for Mom's passing...just found out she has no life insurance. Any advice? - AgingCare.com

Pre-planning for Mom's passing...just found out she has no life insurance. Any advice?

I was blind-sighted by this discovery as my parents were both professional people and always on top of things like this. They even have long term health care. Now in assisted living and Mom's Alzheimer's is final stages she can not communicate and Dad confused also. Don't know if agencies, SS have provisions that offer. What do I do next?

31

Answers

1 3 4
Is there any value to the estate, contact me offline

There is another option not stated by anyone here so far. My husband and I decided to will our bodies for science research. One of the reasons is that the organization we chose, will in most cases, cremate the remains at no cost, send you the ashes in a beautiful black container with the name, date of death. My husband died 2 years ago, and since then they have sent me on the 1st year anniversary, a letter letting me know that it is hardest time period to get through and that if I felt I needed to talk with a grief counselor, they would provide me a name. Also on the 2nd anniversary, they sent a card saying how they appreciated our "gift" and in his name a tree was planted up in Oregon. There have been other letters also that thanked me again for my "gift." The only thing in question is this: They reserve the right to refuse the body, depending on what the circumstances of the death were, or what their doctors are studying at the time. At the time of death, you notify them immediately by phone, they ask you if you can answer questions at that time, giving you the option to say "no" if you are too upset to talk. These questions relate to the former overall health of the deceased. At the end of the conversation, they will put you on a short hold and apparently discuss with others in the organization, and then come back on and give their decision. If, for some reason they reject your 'gift', you will be responsible for cost to cover finaI costs. I know here in Phoenix there are several crematories who offer cremation for under $1,000. I do feel that since cremation is becoming more the choice due to high casket, viewing costs, etc., these will increase. So, you do have to be prepared, just in case. I have been extremely satisfied with their compassionate understanding of my feelings. The ashes were returned to us by private carrier, within 2 weeks. When one considers the fact that burial or direct cremation only take care of the remains, it was with great satisfaction to know perhaps our choice might give future doctors or specialists in training, some additional information that would benefit others. The organization we chose is SCIENCE CARE. I am sure there are others.

Check out the Cremation Society of America, they seem to be pretty reasonable. Also, you can donate a body to a medical school if there is one near you - they handle the transportation and the cremation but you would have to pay for them to send the urn to you. We donated my mom to the U of MN School of Medicine two years ago. They had a beautiful service for those who were donated and were so appreciative for the donation.

Many people don't carry life insurance. Perhaps your folks were thinking that their estate would be large enough to cover 2 funerals.

I don't know of any state that pays for funerals.
If a person would choose to donate their body, they need to sign forms and make certain that you qualify. (Not all bodies do.)

Correction: Social Security paid $250 on his final arrangements.

My husband was a service-connected disabled war vet and all the VA provided was a head stone for the plot I purchased for ashes. They told me they would have paid more IF I had not had him cremated. SS paid $300 on his final arrangements. They told me they would not pay for the burial plot in the cemetery of my choice in our home town. They only pay for the burial plot of the veteran (not the spouse) in 'certain' cemeteries - not all of them. In addition, I was not entitled to draw any of his disability after his death.

As a rule the VA pays Very Little, a $300 allowance, burial space for vet&Spouse, In rare instance more, $2,000 for service related, a flag.

Mom was more than willing to do her own pre-planning because she has an a strong opinion against cremation, which my sister and I prefer. So she knew she had to pay for it ahead of time or we would have went the route of cremation. She has life insurance so by pre-planning and paying, her life insurance will go to my sister and I. She wanted that. Always check with your local funeral home for pre-planning even when they are older. Mom bought her 'policy' when she was 85 and the premiums are very reasonable. If they are still alive, it's not too late.

Wow!! It is amazing when you think you are the only person going through a situation. My mom has no life insurance either, well maybe a small amount with her pension plan. I will look into this Neptune service because I have no idea what I will do about mom's services since I only have two siblings and I cant even get them to call often or visit.

1 3 4