My Mom has issues with her teeth. Any advice? - AgingCare.com

My Mom has issues with her teeth. Any advice?

In the past 2-3 years her teeth have been falling out of her mouth. It has been 1 at a time and gradually more teeth to where she has lost her front teeth and the ones that are left are kind of dissolving and very soft and brittle.

27

Answers

1 2 3
Keep your comments and posts to matters that concern caregiving. Don't discuss controversial topics – such as religion or politics – that might anger other caregivers. Don't use personal attacks, profanity, threats or offensive language. Keep it friendly and helpful!
Also, do not promote your business, website, email address or other contact information. Posts that include self promotions will be removed.
For your personal safety sharing your email address, phone number, address, or full name is prohibited in the community. Our staff has to remove any personal information that has been shared.

Original post is from 2014

I don't think Medicare pays for ANY dental care!

Our father has dementia and his POA agent immediately blocked both daughters from getting any information about him once he went into a crisis and the POA agent took over. At one point, he wouldn't allow us to see our father for 4 months, until we got an attorney who made it possible for us to see him. The last time we saw him 4 months ago, his teeth were beautiful and healthy. He treated them like gold his whole life, electric toothbrush, waterpic, flossing all the time. I mean he was really OCD about his teeth. The last time we saw him, he was brushing and flossing daily. When we finally saw him after 4 months of living in a nursing facility, his teeth were completely rotting. I have never seen anything so gross that close up. I was completely horrified. Since he won't eat hardly anything, they have him living on chocolate "Mighty Shakes" which is basically Sugar, Sugar, Sugar and more Sugar. We tried to brush his teeth but there was so much massive gunk that kept coming out, there was no way we would get it all in one sitting. Plus all the hardened plaque, I had never seen so much solid plaque in my life. Also, his electric toothbrush was just gone, no where to be found. He is in a wheelchair, and with the advanced dementia, he is not going to initiate it himself, but he is very cooperative about brushing when someone helps him. So they can't blame it on him being resistant to oral care. Anyway, I am LIVID that they let this happen. His "wife" sits with him everyday for a few hours, out of pure obligation, and after being with him for 35 years, you would have thought she would notice or inquire about his oral hygiene. NO. You would think the facility would be concerned about it, or his doctor, or SOMEONE. But no. And we can't say anything to anyone about it because the POA Agent has made it impossible for us to talk to anyone about our father, except for him, only he won't talk to us, and anyone that says anything about my father to him is accused of "meddling" or "interfering" with his medical care. So we had to go through our attorney to find out why they have let my Dad's teeth rot right in front of them. He also has a bedsore, and he is also required to have his thin measly mattress on the floor, no bed, because he is a "fall risk." I have talked to many nursing homes who have said they would never put a "fall risk" resident directly on the floor, they have alternatives to that. Anyway, the question is now, now that we have seen the state of my father's teeth, how does a very frail 86 year old man with dementia get his teeth cleaned at this point? It is going to be extremely painful and impossible to get all of that stuff off of them without hurting him, and he doesn't have the stamina. I don't know what to do it seems like he is going to have to some special treatment for them, but I don't even know how he would manage a trip to the dentist. He won't even leave his bed hardly. Who do I contact and how much does something like that cost and how do they even do that with this type of situation? He is in Phoenix.

Veronica says that Medicare will pay for cleaning etc?! I am not aware of this at all...I was told that Medicare does not even pay for medically necessary surgery (extractions)....????

When my MIL came to live with, first thing we did was take her to dentist. She lost her bottom teeth. WE had new set of dentures made at out of pocket cost of $1.500. we could not get her to understand that in order to get a better fit she had to go back a few times to get them adjusted. No way. The bottoms ones would fall out all the time. We had to reorder bottoms again. $700. Good luck !!

My 88 y.o. MIL except for one tooth loss,(which was replaced) has all of her own teeth. Good genes? Lucky? Perhaps. More likely it's because she never missed a dental checkup or cleaning in her adult life. To fun4uanme: your mom will need dentures/implants - take your mom to dental professional asap. There is no other remedy for tooth loss.

We watch my mom like a hawk when she is in the hospital. I stay there with her 24x7 and make sure the nursing staff, CNA, and doctors are doing their jobs providing her with the necessary care, toothbrushing, food, and bathroom needs. I keep a blog and note specifically what the staff does (and do not do). It is sad but essential these days in the hospital. My mom has never had to a spend a day in a SNF (skilled nursing facility). We bring her straight home. I honest do not see them doing anything there for her that we can not do in our own house. I will check for the article on sepsis. Thank you for sharing this information.

There's a good article on this website about Sepsis. It's the top cause of deaths in hospitals, yet only a third of Americans ever heard of it.

Thank you pullupyourpants for sharing about sepsis. I had never heard about it, odd given the number of hospital stays we have been through. Anyway, I am glad to be informed and have shared with a number of my friends already.

1 2 3