My mom has dementia and and is on dialysis. Can she be on hospice?

23

Answers

1 2 3
Why does she need hospice? Yes, I understand hospice is a place for the sick, especially the terminally ill. But in real life scenarios, I've heard of individuals being on hospice specifically for end-of-life care.

i liv in CA...and maybe there and hospice supplied everything my mother needed for free. all medications...and if they didn't cover a particular one...humana her insurance did. they work together. she got free diapers, cleaning products, foam mattresses. she had a severe rash spreading throughout her body...and that is when i finally called hospice...cause she was already bedridden for 8 months. the doctor came to the house and gave her a biopsy and all the medication needed for that. i new my mother was in the dying process...cause she now was sleeping almost 20 hrs a day. hospice saved my sanity and tons of money!!!

Where my mom was in hospice; it was if one had 6 months or less to live. When she started dialysis, hospice stopped as there was no end of life time frame. When she stopped dialysis, hospice started again

riamac, You cannot have dialysis AND Hospice. One or the other.

My aunt was hospice at one time & then "graduated" out because she improved. At some point she was back in hospice. In her case, hospice was ordered when it was determined that she PROBABLY had less than 6 months to live. So who can predict this accurately??? I think there is some wiggle room allowed.

Take the "not" out. Should be "have changed"

If ur Mom is on Medicare they pay for Hospice. Things are covered that you may be paying out of pocket for, like diapers. I she is in ur home call her doctor and get an order for Hospice. Also, ask him for a recommendation. Hospice will come to ur home and evaluate ur Mom. An aide will be provided for a short time each day. She can bath Mom and give u time to run errands. A nurse will come in a few times during the week. Medical equipment, like a hospital bed, can be provided all at no cost to you. It won't hurt to try. The rules for Hospice have not changed.

Found out U don't have to be dying to get Hospice. My mother isn't dying and they want to put Hospice with her. Hospice provides Drs, Nurses,Meds that come here, provide rides to take her to places that she has to go. To find out, get a social worker involved. Ask your insurance company. My mother has Humana and I didn't have to ask- they just supplied them when she kept going to Hsp

Ohmygod, this is not Hospice care. You can be on it for months. What ur discribing is still illegal, I'm sure.

HOSPICE IS NOT A QUICK THING!! PEOPLE HAVE BEEN ON HOSPICE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS!

1 2 3