Mom has C Diff should I avoid being around her? - AgingCare.com

Mom has C Diff should I avoid being around her?

My mom is 47 years old. She was diagnosed with C Diff after she was on an antibiotic for a tooth infection. Before she was diagnosed with C Diff, she was having horrible cramps, felt sick to her stomach and diarrhea up to 16xs a day. She thought she was dealing with diverticulitis (because that's what she was supposedly diagnosed with years prior) now they're saying if she had that it would've shown up on her MRIs and what not. So she must have been misdiagnosed and just has been dealing with C Diff this whole time. Finally, after a stool sample she was diagnosed with C Diff. She was then put on Flagyl (for 16 days 4xs a day) she continued to have diarrhea for weeks. Her doctor then prescribed her Vancomycin (she was on that for 14 days.) she is still having Diarrhea but not as much (mostly just in the morning)...(she has been on very strong probiotics this whole time as well so that's good) she just ordered another stool sample kit to see if she still tests positive for it. If she does, I believe she will be getting the fecal macrobiotic transplant. But in the mean time should I be steering clear of her? She is not in the hospital. She mostly stays at home and tries to go about her normal life. But my concern is, I have a one year old daughter. I'm nervous she will somehow get it and or I get it and pass it to her and others. I'm just confused on what to do. I read so much about how contagious it is but then other sites say it's not likely to get it from others by physical contact. Any advice is appreciated!!

27

Answers

1 2 3
wwhelp2017 - thank you! I have had her on yogurt now since we found out she is colonized with it. She's also on a probiotic!

upallnight - I'm sorry to hear that it almost killed your husband! It's such a scary bacteria!! So glad your daughter recovered well when she had it though!

My husband has had c did several times. It almost killed him once. I have never caught it. Our daughter did however she was on antibiotics at the time for a uti. She recovered well. She was in high school at the time.

Brittany05, Start your daughter and your whole family eating Activia and get align to take every other day when you do not eat the yogurt.

Thanks for your input Tornadojan sorry to hear your mom had it so many times but glad to hear it's better now!!

Partsmom, I can't imagine what he must've been going through with the Lymphoma I'm sorry to hear that! My dad also has Lymphoma and I have seen how horrible it can be!! I'll keep your husband in my prayers! Also, I totally agree about not taking antibiotics! I'm trying very hard to not have to have my daughter on anything for this. The doctor said since she's not showing symptoms they're not going to treat it. Just have basic cleanliness. Wash hands after diaper change etc. Her Pediatrician is also saying that she has colonized C Diff but if she was to be on an antibiotic then that would probably bring out the symptoms of C Diff. Im not exactly sure what to do at this point since she tests positive but has zero symptoms.

Genesis1 I appreciate you giving me the heads up on the Gluten! My mom is gluten intolerant already so she stays away from gluten anyway. But that was a good thought I know those symptoms can be similar!

I could be way off base here but many of the symptoms described what I had for years. Then a chiropractor suggested I try going gluten free for 30 days. After 30 days my symptoms were gone. I have been on a gluten free diet for several years now and the symptoms have not come back. It may be worth a try.

My husband had c diff after being treated with antibiotics for what his primary physician thought was a gum infection that turned out to actually be a recurrence of lymphoma (which he had been treated for 3 years earlier). The problem is that c diff (they call it "difficult" for a reason) is resistant to most first-line antibiotics and when the normal gut bacteria, which keep the bad guys under control, get killed off, the c diff bugs can grow. A previous doctor who had moved out of the area had given us his number and said to call him if we had questions was the one who suggested checking for the c diff, which had been so bad that he wound up in the hospital because the diarrhea messed up his whole system. The moral of the story: avoid taking antibiotics for anything that is not a specifically confirmed diagnosis.

Hi, Brittany,

Wow, you really have your hands full. My mom - 80 years old at the time - had c diff 5 times during the first 6 months of 2008. She did come through it and is doing OK at age 91, so do not lose heart. We took basic precautions, but I don't remember turning my mom's house into a quarantine zone. What ultimately knocked it out were two things. 1. an actual cycling of the vancomycin and possibly one other more mainstream antibiotic - it was 10 years ago, but maybe you can look it up online. Vancomycin is about the most powerful antibiotic you can use. I think it was done over something like 3 weeks with it eventually tapering off. This was effective because you really have to make sure it is gone, otherwise it will come back - and each recurrence is supposedly more resistant. The other was a probiotic called Dr. Ohira's probiotic. It is pretty pricey, but available at Sprouts. It does not require refrigeration, which is nice. Anyway, this was recommended by a national radio host, Dr. Bob Martin. I am convinced that this probiotic saved her life, and she still takes it today. Again, as is so often the case you have to advocate for you and your loved ones - the doctors will just keep pushing antibiotics and you don't want to develop a resistant to those. Best wishes. I really thought my mom was in trouble with this, but it did clear up and she has not had a recurrence in 10 years.

I'm the original person who asked this question...Sorry I haven't replied sooner, for some reason my account isn't letting me login so I created a new one. Anyway, Thank you all for your opinions and thoughts. I appreciate all of them. Sorry to hear about your loved ones that have or had it! It's definitely a scary thing! UPDATE: I actually took my daughter to her pediatrician just this past week and told her about my mom having C Diff. I'm thinking it was just my mothers intuition, but I asked if I could have my daughters stool tested even though she wasn't and hasn't showed symptoms of C Diff. I kinda just wanted it to ease my mind. Anyway, I just received a call from her Ped last night and she said she tested POSITIVE for it!! (My heart sank of course) but she said since she's not showing symptoms they don't need to treat it. Just give her tons of probiotics and they'll retest soon. BUT this is where it gets even crazier...my parents have a Dog (Buster) back in late August he was having Diarrhea horrible!! (Like pure blood) the Vet put him on an antibiotic and a probiotic and told my mom he had a bacteria but the meds would help. My mom asked if what he had was contagious and the receptionist there said no. Anyway, long story short...we think that my mom and my daughter (possibly my whole family... still have to be tested) got C Diff from the dog!!! My mom called the vet today and she said yes, Buster had C Diff in August and she's sorry the receptionist told her it wasn't contagious, because it is! It all makes sense now, my mom was on a strong antibiotic in early September and came down with C Diff afterwards! My daughter tested positive as well but doesn't show symptoms... yet. Honestly I'm in disbelief, I can't believe my daughter has it. If she has it my husband and I probably have it too. Im very worried now, if my daughter gets sick and needs an antibiotic of some sort then the C Diff will probably really effect her. Has anyone ever heard of this?? (I read on another site that a lady had a cat that had C Diff and her kids got it from the cat. My mind has been blown)

We use gloves and these products to clean the bathroom that my 91 yr old FIL uses: www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=clorox+healthcare+bleach+germicidal 
They are the same products that I have seen in hospital rooms and they will kill C-diff. 

His C-diff reared its ugly head after antibiotics to help heal up leg ulcers. For the C-diff he had two rounds of Flagyl, then two rounds of Vancomycin, then finally a combination of Flagyl, Vancomycin and a third antibiotic that I do not recall. The triple antibiotic therapy finally kicked it. Total time elapsed for this adventure was about 6mo with part of it spent in the hospital and part in rehab.

I wouldn’t totally steer clear....(don’t deny your daughter quality time with her grandmom unless it’s absolutely medically necessary) but definitely take precautions.

Ask her pediatrician what he/she thinks...is taking probiotics an option (or eating yogurt)? Get their input. Stress good hygiene habits (easier said than done at that age). Definitely keep things disinfected/clean - bleach, etc.

1 2 3