My mom (84) has bowel problems. What can I do to help her?

she can spend all night throwing up she then will use enemas' and pills to get it going. What can I do to help her?

22

Answers

1 2 3
mary61: How is your mother?

Mary61, how is your mom?

Mary61: As others have said here, get her to the ER.

Mary61: Possible bowel blockages are nothing to ignore. Get her to the doctor STAT!

You can buy no name Miralax at Walmart, think it is called ClearLax, much less expensive and the same stuff. My doc made that suggestion. i have not checked the drug store chains but they may have their own brand also.
My brother has chrons and when he would have a vowel blockage, he will also throw up because there was no where for the food to go. Throwing up for him was a sign to seek immediate medical attention.

Your dr can give you a prescription for the equivalent of miralax. I forget the name. It's less expensive than miralax depending on your prescription insurance.
My 89 yr old aunt takes a capful every morning with instructions to take an extra one in the evening if she needs to and cut it back if things get too loose. The one cap is working fine. After almost a year of her being nauseated, staying in bed, thinking she was depressed, changing her meds and adding meds, BP creeping up, she started throwing up. After a visit to ER, then to a great gastro doc, it was determined she was full of poop and that not taking her thyroid meds properly was causing the problems. She has a visit with a geriatric PCP next month and a daily aid to take her for a walk, give her meds properly, make sure she has a good breakfast and choose what's for lunch. Just a couple of hours everyday is making a huge difference in her life (and mine). Ironically she was already taking miralax and a stool softener but it was so hit and miss it wasn't effective. (Gastro said stop the stool softener). Plus we learned how important thyroid function is to bowel function. I had no idea. So please get your mom to the best ER you can. It took two visits on the same weekend for my aunt. Six hours in the local one where she had a lot of tests but was still sick even after losing 5 lbs with a fleet enema the home health nurse gave her the next morning. Ended up driving her two hours into a medical center ER next day as she was still so nauseated and the BP was up again. It had been about 30 hrs. without improvement. We spent three hours in the city ER with more tests and this time anti nausea meds to take at home. We got a top of the line gastro referral who in turn connected us with the geriatric PCP. My aunt's problem was thyroid. Your moms might be gallbladder or something else. Each persons history and condition being different. Either way, a thorough evaluation might make all the difference for your mom. Let us know what you find out.

I'll throw one more vote behind Miralax. Rainman has had two emergency bowel surgeries and all of his Drs have recommended Miralax as the only thing I should ever give him for constipation. Also, after I had my radical hysterectomy my surgeon recommend taking Miralax daily. It takes a few days to kick in - also my surgeon said up to two capfuls a day is safe. It's a little spendy but you can get it at a good price at Costco.

My experience with Miralax has been amazing. It solved problems for myself and my wife bedridden for 6 years with dementia. She had a colon resection 40 years ago and her bowel performance was never the same . . . until I introduced Miralax. I've been using it for 3 years without any ill effects. It's comforting to know I have one less problem to deal with. After initial adjustments I now need one teaspoon/day. She needs one-half teaspoon/day.

when my mother is constipated...i give her those soft prunes...buy them at trader joes! i give her 4 with breakfast, 4 at lunch and 4 more at dinner! never fails! but why is she throwing up all night? id sure have that checked out???/

Miralax is also what my GI doc recommended and it really helps in a very gentle way. No pain, blow outs, etc.

To the original poster if your moms condition has not been recently elvatuated, i too may just take mom to the ER. Inconvenient yes, but all necessary testing will be done in s few days rather then weeks.

1 2 3