Mom has an ongoing yeast infection. Any suggestions?

My 78yr. old mother has been living with us for two years. Other than her Alzheimer's she has been in fairly good health and happy, except for an ongoing yeast infection. I have had her to multiple doctors and she has had vaginal suppositories of all kinds, several different creams and antifungal medications. It may seem to clear up for a day or two, but then it is back again. It causes her to itch and burn terribly and she is just miserable. Has anyone else had to deal with this problem and if you have is there a working solution? I feel so sorry for her and our lives now seem to revolve around her misery. Can anyone help me with this?

28

Answers

1 2 3
Have her tested for diabetes. My mom had the same issue and that is what they found in her case. Hang in there!

There are so many great suggestions here. Just wanted to add that my mother-in-law found yogurt wasn't enough, so she takes Probiotics (CVS brand) in addition to the yogurt. First you may have to get the Diflucan to get it under control, then keep up with the Probiotics. Diflucan is very good, so this combination should work. Good luck with this - hope it helps.

Change her diet! More yogurt without sugar, no sodas, no sweets and no dairy (milk, cheese (except yogurt), and eat lots of veggies. I have never had a yeast infection in my almost 67 yrs. At night have her drink about 1/4 cup of lemon juice (this is actually an alkaline for urine ph) plus honey (natural antibiotic) and definitely NO ANTIBIOTICS. Her system needs a rest.

Trader Joe's has unsweetened cranberry juice concentrate for about $4. It lasts a long time and you can dilute with water or add to other juices. Avoid mainstream cranberry cocktails: the sugar in it defeats the use of cranberry. If you have a juicer and can find fresh cranberries, that could be powerful: but tart. There are some supplements out there that have high doses of natural cranberries in it.
D-mannose I think. Check the thread here. It's been discussed before.

Too much sugar (soda, ice cream, candy etc. ) can cause yeast infections too.

My mother was advised to drink cranberry juice every day to help prevent yeast infections. Ask your doctor.

Yeast lives in the body all the time - it is when it gets out of hand as in your situation that it causes problems. Along with stopping soda pop - you might consider stopping all wheat products and other high carb food items for a month or so. Stick to low glycemic (low sugar foods). You can find a list if you google "low glycemic foods". Also, watch out for food items containing modified corn starch and corn syrup or corn syrup solids in the labeling. Good Greek Yogurt will facilitate the growth of "good" bacteria and help with the yeast infection also. LOTS OF WATER DRINKING! :-) Best wishes. P.S. some good pro-biotics would probably be helpful also - you can find some wonderful pro-biotics at some of the organic or health food type stores. Usually in the refrigerator cases.

Hi all. You can google so much info on how all these topics are related. You can make your own laundry soap or buy unscented natural products. Diet can cause yeast over-growth, drugs can cause imbalance. Taking a really good and natural probiotic is not only a good way to cleanse and keep your gut healthy but much of our health comes from the good bacteria we have. Anti-biotics even if taken in the past can influence how many beneficial bacteria are in the body, so taking a natural probiotic is a great idea for all of us. Beware of pharma brands and go for trusted natural companies, or see or call a Naturopath to get a recommendation.
Always consider that long list of "possible" side effects when buying drugs or pharma products. Raw veggies are still the best medicine for about anything.

I love juicing! It's something to look forward to and I feel great.

Regular monostat cream or is there a chance she is sugar cause that can cause infections and caffeine in coffee sodas soap remove those out of diet or depend on her age etroven my be needed.

Stop the creams & suppositories. Get rid of this yeast infection good & for all.

Tell the doctor to write a presription for Diflucan tablets. Generally, only one tablet is needed, but sometimes 2 or 3 are taken to assure that the yeast is killed.

1 2 3