This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
In answer to another of your posts, Schaefa, I carry a copy of LO’s POA AND the certificate from a medical specialist who certified her inability to manage her affairs and provide for herself, and present them together when doing any legal and or financial dealings for her.

The combination of the two documents has proven very helpful in managing my LO’s care and meeting her needs effectively.
Helpful Answer (0)

I found the Teepa Snow's website & YouTube's really informative & positive. She really looks at what skills people still have & tuning in to their level.

Keeping that in mind, I'd be quietly observing personal care/hygiene, the household tasks, meals & drinks, security issues & looking at what she can do & what may need to be changed.

Some examples are;
Choosing clothing & using the heating/cooling for the appropriate weather.
Eating & drinking enough.
Throwing away off food.
Able to shower/change clothes/wash clothes.
Preparing meals safely (getting dinners delivered can be easier).
Going out/locking door/taking keys.

The clothing may sound trivial, but my Mum will keep a fleecy jacket on even when 30+ degrees & overheat. She also will be out in winter without a thicker coat or hat & be turning blue. The cold is not too big an issue here, but for snowy places, I suppose hyperthermia is a real risk.

For me, the two big ones that mean supervision is required all the time are are using the appliances/stove incorrectly & leaving the house unsafely.

Your Mother is so blessed to have you in this along side her.
Helpful Answer (1)

Schaefa, we are all here for you (and for each other). Welcome!

You will get lots more answers in a couple of hours; it's the middle of the night here on the East Coast.

Depending on where you are located, your local Area Agency on Aging may not be doing assessments right now, but get mom on the waiting list. is also an awesome source of information and advice.

There is a term for the condition your mom has (not recognizing that she has cognitive deficits). Its called anosognosia. Google it.

Also, Teepa Snow has amazing YouTube videos on how to talk to and deal with folks with dementia. Worth looking at.
Helpful Answer (0)

Also, the reason I got that letter is because I was considering trying to Guardianship over her in hopes of stoping her daughter and son-in-law from furthering to financially exploit her. I have since researched guardianship in great depth and am no longer considering that. At least not anytime in the near future.
Helpful Answer (0)

Can I start by saying, thank you! I have no idea who you are, yet I have tears my eyes because I suddenly don’t feel alone!! I’ve never engaged in a forum like this, so thank you :) I will contact them tomorrow. Yes. I am her POA.
Helpful Answer (3)
AnnReid Apr 2020
Are you her ONLY POA, or is the other daughter a POA as well?

She most likely doesn’t acknowledge her dementia because of the dementia itself. You and she will probably be more comfortable if you simplify conversations with her and focus as little as possible on the reasons why she thinks as she does.

Hugs and hopes that you will find the information you need to keep her safe and comfortable.
You can have her care needs assessed by the local Area Agency on Aging. They will give you and your mother a professional and dispassionate estimate of what she needs in terms of care. They cam also advise on what assistance she might be eligible for.

Your original question mentioned finances.
You said on another thread that Mom's doctor has given you a letter stating that she can no longer handle her finances.

Do you hold Power of Attorney for your mother? Does somebody else hold it?
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter