Mom has a bed bug infestation. Any advice? - AgingCare.com

Mom has a bed bug infestation. Any advice?

My mother will be 70 this year and lives on her own (still works full time too). Her brother lives with her. A little background on her: She has lived her whole life thinking if you ignore something it will go away. She ignored her gall bladder issues for years before finally needing surgery. Even after surgery she still eats the same way. (she just runs to the bathroom after she eats). She was told she was diabetic about 10 years ago and was given pills (no shots thankfully). She took the one bottle and never refilled it. All she did to change her diet was to use splenda instead of sugar in her coffee. She still eats "meat and potatoes" at every meal and wow can she eat! (she's about 4'11" and 180 lbs). She was also raised to hide everything because of what other people will think. (not fix it--- just hide it). I'd say she was a hoarder but it's not nearly what you see on tv. She does have stuff she doesn't need but it's not to the point of being cripling. She hasn't done laundry in a laundromat in 7+ years. She washes her clothes by hand because of what people will think of her if they see her in a laundromat. She'll pay $150/week for a cab to go to work because of what people would think of her for taking the town bus (we live on Long Island and it's not like the city--- I agree there is a stigma for taking the bus out here but I take the bus because IDC what people think).

Anywhoo-- sorry. She now has bedbugs. I know they're not her fault. they happen. She could have gotten them from someone in a grocery store who knows. However, she has ignored them from day one. She acts like it's nothing and just flicks them off her and squishes them. then says, "oh , haha, there's another one"

I know I'm dealing with much more than just a bed bug infestation, I'm dealing with mental issues as well. I just do not know where to start or how to approach this subject. She will be downright adamant about us (I have 3 sisters) doing anything.

I forgot she lives in a downstairs apartment and her landlords live upstairs. My sister says they have them upstairs, she saw them on the frame of the door. My mother never even told her landlords about the mold in the bathroom and the ceiling is all black and the sheetrock is ruined. (Again---because of what they will think of her and they will throw her out--event tho I've told her a million times they cannot throw her out on the street).

So any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I don't want to say the wrong things to mom and get her pissed or have her withdraw. I need to approach this delicately. I know of the expenses involved w/ bed bugs as well. And none of us have any money so I'm wondering if DSS or APS could help.

27

Answers

1 2 3
My first call in this particular situation would definitely be the health department. The next call should be to APS, either you or the health department can make that call, but I would definitely let the health department do it. What you can do if necessary if you decide to do this on your own is first vacuum everywhere possible. You can also bring in professionals with steam cleaners that can sanitize everything. Steam cleaners will actually deep clean mattresses and anything else. As for keeping your house at 140° as mentioned here, that's too dangerous and it can definitely kill you because it will lead to a heat stroke. I strongly discourage cranking the heat that hot since it is a fatal temperature, because you just can't live in a place that hot. Depending on how bad the bedbug infestation really is, you may have to temporarily move your mom until the place is professionally cleaned. Even if the place is condemned, it will be professionally cleaned at some point because it just can't stand empty. It's mentioned that it's a rental and the owner is going to want to make money renting part of the house. Everyone will definitely have to move elsewhere until the place is professionally cleaned and free of bedbugs. If this person won't move, they may actually have to be physically forced, and this is what the APS is there for. You may also want to wash the person's clothes as well as everyone else's. Use hot water for laundering as well as bleach. It may be a lot of laundry, but worth it. An alternative would be to replace everyone's clothes and furniture as well as linens. I'm sure there are charities that could help out in this type of crisis, all you have to do is get the back up from the health department as well as the APS in order to get the charity to jump into assisting in this crisis because you don't need the bedbugs spreading and infecting other buildings or other people.

Captain - I remember you used diatomaceous earth, didn't you? You don't take lip from anyone, on two legs or six.

i killed them , all of them . all you people who predict defeat from the start -- defeat is guaranteed ..
losers ..

Mom will stay Mom whether she has bedbugs or not. She isn't going to change now so forget it. Help her and everyone else at the same time. Call the health department, building code enforcement, elderly affairs, the housing authority, your congressman---anyone and everyone who will GO OUT THERE AND LOOK for themselves. They will instantly condemn the place and force the landlord to deal with ALL the problems until fixed. It's not just your mom who is ignoring the situation.

Keep in mind that folks who grew up in the Depression were used to living with bedbugs, so they don't always react with abject horror like we do. They don't realize that there are better solutions out there now that can deal with them more effectively than dousing mattresses with kerosene like my grandfather tried... forgetting he smoked in bed.

The best thing to do is call the health inspector tell them you suspect bed bugs and go from there since she is renting they should make the landlord deal with it bed bugs are a health hazard and risk I am currently dealing with them as well I am moving and leaving all of my furniture they were here before I moved in and living in the walls I have tried getting rid of them and can't. If you call the health inspector they will also tell your mother the risk she is taking by ignoring it. If they are bad enough you are seeing them then the problem is far worse than you think. I have them severely bad and don't see them unless I look. I sprayed with alcohol (because it will kill them and their eggs) on a daily basis in every Crack crevice furniture base boards and walls I seen and still have them just as bad as the day I discovered them. They are very hard to get rid of and yes if you spend any amount of time in your mother's home you can carry them home with you especially if you have sat on the furniture. So you need to check your beds around the seems especially where your bed touches the wall they like cool dark places. You should be very careful going there or not at all.

No real lasting treatment. Throw away mattress, clean whole room, wiping down walls, etc with cleaner and bleach. Bring in new mattress with zip enclosed mattress cover.

Replace all bedding, sheets, blankets, decorative pillows, bed skirts etc. OR wash everything in very hot water and dry in hot dryer. YEP, she'll have to do this in laundromat.

They are tenacious and you have to be careful. I travel all the time and never lay clothes or suitcase on bed. I unpack in laundry room when I retune and wash all my pajamas immediately.

JustSomeone, I was rereading your post and now your answer, too - have you thought of offering to speak to her landlord for her? I hadn't grasped before that her landlord may not be aware of the problem in her bathroom, and apart from anything else he is responsible for maintenance and he needs to know.

Do you know the landlord to speak to? Is he an ogre? How long has she been a good, rent-paying tenant? After her earlier experiences I'm not blaming her for being nervous; just wondering if she's thinking the worst without real cause.

The entire place has to be treated.The landlord has to know, as the entire building will have them for sure. They multiply fast and get into hardwood floors, in back of pictures, etc not to mention bite ! The landlord will have to pay . They just bring in a heater and heat up the rooms super hot and they all die, no chemicals! Gross,get her out and stay out until its done!

Thank you everyone for all your responses! Mom can't/won't move. The three times she had to move in the last 15 years was because one of my sisters or I went out and found an apartment and did all the work for her. She'd still be living in the house where the landlord illegally evicted her and my father all those years ago if we never did anything.

We can't burn furniture. She lives in an apartment in someone's house. We can't make a bon fire in the back yard LOL

She doesn't even sleep in a bedroom she just sleeps on the couch. Her brother has the one bedroom and the second bedroom is a storage room, which has my uncle's stuff and her stuff. (There's no closet or storage space except a closet in the one bedroom and one in the living room).

I agree we have to get rid of the couch. However we'd have to do it when she wasn't home. We already told her we have to get rid of the couch and she said no because she "can't" put a couch by the garbage the landlords will get mad. (yeah ok). We all told her that 1-they don't even have to know WHY she's getting rid of the couch and 2-who the hell cares? (but she thinks they do and they'll throw her out and no we start the whole conversation over again.) :-/

Clean, get an exterminator and possibly move. Why would anyone live in a rental with bugs and mold! The landlord needs to pay for the repairs, if he won't. Move. Work on mom's sense of what would people think of me if I allow my mother to live in infested moldy.....slum like...environment.

You are likely to carry the infestation back to your house, so this is serious.

I know it is difficult, but NH and dorms and hotels find a way to kill bedbugs, so it can be done.you will need professional help and possibly to get rid of bedding.

1 2 3