I just noticed that my Mom got two payments from SS this month. Has anyone seen this and know what it is? - AgingCare.com

I just noticed that my Mom got two payments from SS this month. Has anyone seen this and know what it is?

Her first payment was the normal amount and the second payment a lot larger. We just got her approved for Medi-Cal in California so don't know if this has something to do with it or not.

1

Answer

Contact social security. They will be able to answer. You don't want to spend it and have them come looking later if a mistake! She may have been eligible for a refund of Medicare premiums if approved for Medicaid. Ask!

• Numerous resources are available to educate a spouse or an aging loved one on the basics of personal finance, retirement planning, investing and more. In fact, some of these learning tools are both practical and enjoyable.
  • 401(k) plans are an employer-sponsored benefit that enables workers to set aside money towards their retirement. How do you decide which kind of 401(k) plan is best for you? Very carefully.
  • Seniors who depend on a fixed income to fund their retirement are vulnerable to inflation, but proper planning and investing can safeguard their spending power.
  • Tips for how caregivers can talk about money and finances with elderly parents. Financial discussions shouldn’t be taboo as your parents age. Failing to talk about money matters with your parents could put you in a difficult position when it’s time to take over their financial decisions.
  • A roundup of web-based and mobile financial tools that will help you monitor your money, budget better and save more.