Mom getting out of bed and falling. How to keep her in bed? - AgingCare.com

Mom getting out of bed and falling. How to keep her in bed?

Mom is usually pretty immobile. Lives with a great caretaker. Twice in the past couple of weeks she's gotten around her full-bed rail and fallen. She can't seem to manage the intercom we have set up. We're now putting in a baby monitor, but she snores like a freight train. I'm worried that will interfere with caretaker's sleep. How to keep her in bed?

19

Answers

MELATONIN details -- While Mom was in rehab, her doctor's visiting nurse had them put her on 5 mg at bedtime. At present I give her 6 mg only because the closest dosage I could find at the super market was 3 mg tablets. She gets two of those, crushed and mixed with blueberry apple sauce. (I take the same dosage.)

Also at bedtime Mom gets 25 mg of a Seroquel generic (prescribed to reduce agitation and anxiety) which, on its own, never helped her to sleep through the night.

The brand we use is NatureMade, simply because I'm not able to get to the health food store much any more because of having to watch Mom. Otherwise I would use my favorite brand, Solgar.

I understand a time-release version is available which some say is best for staying asleep.

I like melatonin because it acts quickly and doesn't have after-effects that I've been able to notice.

Gigi11, would you please be more specific about the melatonin? I'm not even 50 yet and someone recommended a supplement that was largely melatonin but with other vitamins as well - no joy.

So, if it worked for your mom, would you be so kind as to actually recommend the brand name and/or at least the dosage (milligrams per pill)? No worries if you can't remember - I can't remember the one that worked for others but not for me, although I do think I got it at Sam's Club years ago. :: shrugs :: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Short of shackles and chains there is no sure way of keeping someone in bed.
Lots of good ideas above and what you choose to use depends on the stage your loved one is at and their abilities.
I would try pushing one side of the bed against the wall and place a long pillow on the open side tucked in with a cross or draw sheet. Use discretion about the rails but motion tab will be helpful . Push the back of a heavy couch agaist the side of the bed and place a matress on the floor at the end of the bed to cushion any falls. If using a hospital bed put it in the lowest position. if your loved one is still mobile place hand rails at convenient places on the wall so she can safely get up and make sure the walker is at the bed side likewise the comode. A motion sensor in the doorway will alert you to any wandering. Good night lights or motion sensor lights in the patients room will help to orientate her. A baby gate at the top of the stair will prevent a tumble but that can also be a hazard if your loved one tries to step over. Good common sense and judgement about your loved ones abilities often go a long way further than professional advice. if you don't agree don't do it. The caregiver knows best what their loved one is capable of. if you hire an overnight caregiver check their references very carefully and if possible talk to others who haave used them. many are very diligent in staying awake and will bring hobbies to keep themselves occupied BUT some also have day jobs and plan on sleeping so set you alarm and check up on them for the first few nights. you are paying them to watch your loved one so make sure they do it. now i am not talking about the ocassional lapse that happens to the best caretaker even if you make them sit on a hard chair around 3-4 am you may find someone asleep sitting bolt upright. Once you know you can trust your caregiver leave them alone. there is nothing worse than having a relative breathing down your neck all night. Leave plenty of coffee and snacks out and you will soon build loyalty

We took the coasters off the bed and bought a box spring that was not as high for my grandmother. There was no extra charge when we purchased the new set for the smaller box spring. This allowed her to be able to sit on bed with feet firmly planted on the floor. She would not have been able to get up if we placed the mattress on the floor.

There are caregivers that work at night (that means they stay awake for 12 hours while taking care of your loved one). Then they go home to get some rest. My Mother had such a caregiver until I arrived from out of state to take care of Mom.

Why is she waking up during the night? Need for bathroom or just restless? Our sleeping problems with Mom (96 and dementia patient) mostly ended after a nurse recommended melatonin at bedtime. Works a charm.

I have a low mattress in my room temporarily because of a remodeling project. I feel like I could use a crane to be pulled out of it. Low beds are fine for falls, but how will you get her up? My mother would never be able to get up off of a low bed. I can hardly do it and I'm in pretty good shape. It's like getting up off the floor. I like the motion detector thing. Baby monitors are good, but not perfect. We use one, but by the time I hear her fall, it's too late.

My sister in law finally just put a mattress on the floor and that is where my BIL slept until he went into a home. He kept falling so that was her best solution.

The Posey Co. Sells bed restraints. You have to have a Drs. Prescrip to purchase them. We used a lap restraint for my husband - helped tremendously. He's in a hospital bed now approaching death. Didn't need the bed restraints, but would not have hesitated to ask for a prescrip if I needed them. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Get a tabs alarm!!