Can mom get a private room in assisted living?

And, if so, is the cost double?

19

Answers

Speaking from personal experience, it depends entirely on the facility and what is available (plus what you can afford). I went into assisted living with a private room. A few years later, the place went bankrupt and was bought out. I found out then that they changed the single room into a double. Then I transferred to a new facility and that facility ONLY has private one room studio apartments or an apartment for ONE person with a bedroom (living room and bedroom). So the best advice I can give you is make calls until you find one whose facility, by the way it was built, can ONLy accommodate single parties.

As, I believe Mother can easily get a private room in assisted living room with some extra money. The services they offer can also be delivered in room. My client mother was indeed of private room, and she settled herself well.

We recently toured a few assisted living places and all offered shared rooms. They were sort of studio sized with a shared bathroom. As a couple people told us, think of it mainly for sleeping because they try to keep the residents busy. That can be true -- my mom never spent any time really in her 'bedroom' at home except to sleep at night. Pricing seemed to be about $500 less for shared. Good luck!

The retirement home my Mom lives in, she has her own private room, but after a fall, she needed more assistance so they moved her up to the Demtenia/ALZ ward. There was a lady in her room already but within a couple months, the family moved her into one of her lady friends rooms so they could be together. Three cost changes with each change. Highest level now.

AL are usually private rooms unless ur on Medicaid then u have to share a room. Where I live in NJ you have to have two years of private pay and if u have exhausted ur assets they will help u get Medicaid but u go to a two per room, if available.

The NY AL facilities we were looking at for my mother were for medicaid recipients only and offered two-person rooms with a shared bathroom. We could pay an extra $400 for a private room for her, which of course they showed us when we toured the facility with her, but we can't afford that for her.

I think you can get single rooms with 'private pay' AF facilities in NY and CT, where my husband and I Iive. The place in our town that offers this is $7k/month...

Around here all assisted living places I know about are for single persons or married couples. Only the nursing homes have double rooms. I imagine there are some double-occupancy ones out there. I just don't know of them.

Last year I called several places in California, and the price difference seem rather small... 10%-25% more for a private room.

My, you ,ight also want to check out " independent living" places. My mom did quite well in one after having a miserable experience in AL. At the time, AL was the wrong kind of help, not what she needed.

A good choice is a continuing care community that has several levels of assistance.

I am so thankful I asked this question. Everyone has given me so much information that I feel I now know what to look for and what questions to ask as we visit facilities.
I feel mom is not ready for a nursing home as she is healthy but is having trouble lifting herself up from a chair and walks more cautiously now after a couple of falls. She still makes her own breakfast and lunch, bathes herself, etc and can be left home alone without concern at this point. She won't let me change her sheets or do her laundry but she complains about having to do those things.
I think she could live with a separate bedroom and bath and sharing a kitchenette. I'm more enthusiastic now about looking at facilities and hopeful that we'll find something she'll like. AgingCare.com is a wonderful community support system and I thank you all.