If my Mom gave my sister $16,000 to "help them from losing their home" how does that affect her being approved for Medicaid? - AgingCare.com

If my Mom gave my sister $16,000 to "help them from losing their home" how does that affect her being approved for Medicaid?

My mom was living with my sister and buying groceries, paying bills, buying them things for the home, etc., and above that just gave them $16,000 to pay for a couple extra months in a home that they knew they were going to lose, and now she has nothing other than what another sister and I have managed to save for her elder care. Will she be penalized for this "gift"?

2

Answers

Oh, I should have looked at your profile first. I see that your mother is already in a nursing home. I still think the family will need to pay $16,000 before she will be approved for Medicaid.

Yes, this will be considered a gift. And the amount above the gifting tax law is taxable on her tax return.

Why did she give them $16,000 to pay for two months on a house they knew they were going to lose? It must really be an expensive house for $16,000 would pay for 16 months for my house.

$16,000 probably would have paid for her to be in a nursing home for two months while applying for Medicaid. Now family members will likely need to pay $16,000 on her care before she will qualify for Medicaid.