My Mom just got a full bottom denture 6 days ago. Now it is lost. Any advice? - AgingCare.com

My Mom just got a full bottom denture 6 days ago. Now it is lost. Any advice?

My mother has dementia and it is getting worse fast. We moved her into an AL four months ago and since it is so expensive ( but worth it ) we have to be pretty tight with her money. Anyways her teeth were really bad so we really had no choice but to extract the rest of her bottom teeth and get her a full bottom denture. She already had a full upper denture but they made her a new one to match the new bottom. She went through a lot of pain after the teeth were pulled, but the dentist told her she needed to keep the denture in her mouth for 5 days straight before taking it out except to rinse it off. Well she didn't do that and now she has lost it! I went over and looked and so did all of the nurses that work there. It must have gotten thrown out. This had happened to her before when she had a partial on the bottom. She would take it out and wrap it in a napkin and forget and throw it out. It is so frustrating. I took her to at least 5 appt to get it made and fitted and now it is gone and she has no teeth on the bottom. When I asked her when she lost it she said I don't know. I asked if she was in the dining room or her room and she doesn't know. Her memory is really bad now and can't remember anything! She was upset that she lost it, but thinks we should just go get another made. I feel like there is no other choice but if she lost this one in six days she is going to lose another one, and another one, and another one. Dentures are not cheap as you know. I just don't know what to do. Any advice is welcome.

22

Answers

1 3
Nolagal that is a funny story. You never know where you will find things sometimes. We haven't found her denture yet so I took her to get another one made a couple of days ago. I don't think we will find it, but you never know it could be in a plant pot or something, funny but not!

DeeDee obvious this wouldn't work. Just having fun to lighten the moment, lol. With all the stress I am under it's nice to kid around once in awhile. Oh well.

This is a joke? Right? Just from your submission, you appear to be quite young, but I will respond realistically. I don't believe a denture necklace would work. The person would eventually take the necklace off before maybe taking a shower and more than likely not remember where they put it. If it is found, they may put the dentures on and lose the case. The dentures need to be put in water overnight. Imagine sleeping with dentures in a case with water hanging around your neck.. That could very well be uncomfortable and not too practical. I can go on and on, but I think you get the point. Be well.

Unfortunately this may not help you but hopefully it will at least make you laugh. My mom who lives at home with me recently lost her bottom dentures. I looked high and low and believed that she too had put them in a napkin and thrown them in the garbage. I even went through the trash but no luck. I figured a trip to the dentist for new ones was due. A few days later she was in the backyard with me and suddenly declared that someone had left their teeth in the bird bath. Low and behold there they were sitting in the bird bath. She didn't even realize they were hers and she laughed and checked her mouth when I told her. Guess she went to rinse them off or something?? who knows. I was just thrilled to find them. Of course we have to figure out a way for her not to take them out again. Next time I might not be so lucky because we have a dog that chews things and if she gets them... well you know what will happen.

For my husband it was hearing aids. Sigh.

17 is so young to have dentures! I can't imagine that, but my father in law had to get dentures at a really young age too. So sad!

It must be that generation. All of my friends who are under 50 have good teeth and won't need dentures. Taking care of your teeth is more important than it used to I guess. And it doesn't hurt to have dental insurance which pays for all of our cleanings 2x a year. I am glad we have that. If we didn't have insurance I don't know if we would be able to afford to have as many check-ups. When I went and saw my mother today she said she couldn't find her top denture! I thought I was going to have a heart attack, but we found it. Thank God :)

Yep look after your teeth!!! mums teeth were slightly crooked when she was younger she had dentures at 17yrs old pure vanity no braces then but her teeth were fine and she couldve done without it but alot of women did that then? even her dentist didnt want to do it told her shed regret it but no she wanted straight teeth? shame!

Yes that's true a spring would make it easier. We'll I am not planning on having to wear dentures. My teeth are fine and hopefully will last the rest of my life! It is amazing how many young people you see in the office getting dentures though. I thought it was all old people. Thanks for your great sense of humor to cheer me up.

Im sure we neednt worry.... when we get this old they will have disposable dentures by then yeh get a pair in Kmart with your shopping!!

1 3