Mom fell in a small group care facility, more 1 yer 11 months ago, she was left unattended. I was told by someone that I should get legal help before 2 year statute of limitations to see if the care home is liable for any expenses that Aetna did not cover for emergency visit as well as the ambulance. Perhaps even other compensations. The caregivers say they dressed my mom for bed and left her sitting on the bed alone while they left the room to help with others. Hospital bill was about $19,000.00 plus 1200.00 for ambulance transportation. Should I seek help? Are the caregivers and care home responsible? It was my mom's first week that this accident happened.

Rick55, sorry to read that your Mom had fallen. Hope she is feeling better. Gosh, sounds like the ER took a lot of x-rays, MRI's, and other scans, plus kept your Mom there for a few days.

Both of my parents were in the ER for their fair fare of falls, staying in the hospital for a couple of days. After Medicare paid and the secondary insurance paid, the final bills were quite low. Do you live in the States?

The way I look at what happened, if your Mom was being cared for by a relative in their home and Mom fell in the same manor, would you sue that relative?

First ask for a free consultation with an elder law attorney. I expect that it would be very difficult to find an attorney that would take the case on contingency. Falls happen, often. There may be a waiver of liability in the contract with the home. Check that.

If an attorney would not accept this on contingency, then yes, it will get very expensive very fast. Maybe check with a personal injury attorney if there were injuries resulting from the fall.
Reply to gladimhere

Left her sitting on the bed, different then laying in a bed. Why was she not put in a chair?

Is Mom not on Medicare? If so, then if a Medicare hospital they had to except what Medicare considers reasonable. The 20% not covered maybe covered by a supplimental. Same thing with ambulance service if they except Medicare. My Mom never paid more than $500 for a hospital visit.

It can't hurt to try and sue. I would think they have some liability insurance. Try talking to the person in charge and asking if their insurance covers what her insurance didn't. If they aren't forthcoming then consult with a lawyer to see if u have a case.
worriedinCali Mar 17, 2019
Do you not think it would hurt his bank account to sue??
(0)
I’m very sorry this happened. You shouldn’t go after anyone though. Falls happen even when there are 2 people present. I don’t see why the care home would be responsible, your mom was left in bed. Even if a worker had been present, she could have fallen.
Reply to worriedinCali