Mom insists on dumping her potty chair and makes a huge mess. Should I resort to adult diapers? - AgingCare.com

Mom insists on dumping her potty chair and makes a huge mess. Should I resort to adult diapers?

My mom has a potty chair in her room to use at night. When I get up in the mornings, I dump it and clean it out. The problem is, she thinks she can dump it herself and has started doing it when I'm gone to work. She has macular degeneration and misses the toilet a lot of the time when she does it, so I end up with a huge stinking mess to clean up. Also, she is a fall risk-very unsteady with a history of falls and injuries. I have asked her-so many times-to please not dump the potty. I am at the point of removing the chair all together and making her depend upon adult diapers. I'm not trying to be mean, but I hate cleaning up the potty mess. Any ideas?

14

Answers

BAHA Boni!! Wishful thinking! I don't want to consider the alternative! I live in fear of the alternative!!

Pee???? you will be lucky if it's just Pee....I don't have luck like that.;)

A couple of years ago MIL banished her commode to the basement because she didn't want "that thing" in her bedroom. A few days ago (much to my surprise) she asked if it might be a good idea to bring it up "just for night time" so she doesn't have to make the longer trip to the bathroom. It would have to be secured to the wall or floor somehow...I was going to ask dh about it, but I'm starting to have second thoughts now...having visions of her balancing the bucket on her lap, pee sloshing back and forth inside as she's heading for the bathroom to dump it. She would do it, I KNOW she would!!

And NEVER be sorry for venting here! That's what we are here for!

LOL Susan...boy do I relate to THAT! Dirty tissues everywhere...trash cans everywhere......But she gets mad at me because I won't let her clean the oven from her wheelchair. And it's self cleaning...lol.

And I would love for her to clean up after herself-how about putting the dishes you use in the sink instead of leaving them in your room? Oh, and how about not leaving your trash EVERYWHERE-you have a nice can right here beside you it will go in. You can't do those things, but you think you can dump the full potty chair? Cool.

Sorry, it's been a bad week around here.

I understand. My Mom got up one morning, and fell into hers, spraying the contents ALL over her room. I agree with DEPENDS.

I know she is, but I get tired of the shitty mess. I'm tired.

im kinda nuts, ill move the crapper next to her bed if it becomes necessary. its just 4 inch plastic pipe and a 6 dollar floor flange.

I agree with the capn. She is trying to clean up after herself, so try to find a way to work with her to get it right. Anyone have any ideas what might make it easier for Mother? It is certainly no pleasure to clean potty contents off the floor.