I am trying to find out about geriatric psychologists in the Rockville/Olney area. I also am looking for a possible resource for drugs that curb anxiety in an elderly person but one that doesn't knock them out or put them to sleep.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Getting the right medication is unfortunately trial and error, so don't give up if the first attempt doesn't work.

Look for books and videos on reducing anxiety in people with dementia. There is a lot of information available, and much of it is NOT obvious! Educate yourself, because it will help.A book called "I'm Still Here" should be in your library or available on interlibrary loan. Go to the website for Deepa Snow to find videos you can watch for free.

It's a hard job, but it can be made a little easier with knowledge and support. Bless you.
Helpful Answer (2)

I wonder if a geriatric psychiatrist (who can prescribe medication) would also be a good choice.

Who diagnosed her dementia? Can that doctor give you a referral to someone to address the anxiety?

As you know, there is no cure for dementia, but treating the symptoms (in this case anxiety) can greatly improve quality of life.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter