Mom has advancing dementia and may have to be placed in a nursing home after living with us for 5 years. How should I go about this? - AgingCare.com

Mom has advancing dementia and may have to be placed in a nursing home after living with us for 5 years. How should I go about this?

4

Answers

You choose 3 or 4 in your area. Bring her with you if she is able but do not push it. Then you make the choice based on compatability of her needs. I did it with 2 people so far. One place costs a little more but has the best program to keep my LO engaged in socializing plus staying awake all day and sleeping well at night.

Gg

Yes. How to go about it will depend on how your mother feels about it, what her care needs are, what facilities are like in your area, whether she will need financial support, how urgent the situation is getting...

If you'd like to say a little more there are sure to be forum members with helpful advice to offer.

It might help if you provided a little more about the situation, for example, how old is your mom, what health issues does she have, how much assistance does she need with daily activities, etc. Will she be paying for her care with private funds? And does she agree that she needs long term care?

Sometimes, it's helpful to hire a professional to help assess her needs and help with finding placement.  But, you can look at places yourself, visit, interview, get info and see what is available.  Does your mom need skilled nursing care?  I might explore Memory Care facilities too.