Mom (89 with dementia) claims someone comes into house and leaves their clothes (as the ones in the closet are not hers). What to say? - AgingCare.com

Mom (89 with dementia) claims someone comes into house and leaves their clothes (as the ones in the closet are not hers). What to say?

Mom has this belief, since she can't remember that all the clothes/shoes, etc. that she has in her closet belong to her. She claims someone comes in house and leaves their clothes behind. If I say that ok, if they aren't your's let's get rid of them, no we can't. (no reason given). What to say to get around this?

15

Answers

The things I buy now look 20 years old after one wash. I wish we would get back to making things in the USA.

I like the clothing I have from 20 years ago... it tends to hold up so much better than the stuff I am buying today that tends to shrink, pucker, with buttons falling off :P

I can still wear my clothes from 20 years ago. You know what you call that? Poor.

OMG, Pam, same thing happened to me.... what in the world !!! It was like it happened overnight. Oh well, at least all my shoes still fit :P

I still have all my clothes, but I think my body was stolen and replaced with one that is old, fat and wrinkly. ;-)

Happens a lot here too. "These aren't my clothes" or she'll have me search for an outfit or article of clothing that she may have had 20 years ago or who knows, maybe she dreamt about it. Sometimes she asks if the clothes in her closet are mine. Gotta roll with it baby like Steve Winwood sings!

So THAT'S where all the clothes "stolen" from my mother's closet have gone. DKENN2010, I'm so glad we solved both mysteries today!

:-D

ff, my father and mother had separate closets. I donated all of his clothes after he died. My mother has closets and racks of clothes, so she moved some of her things into his closet. Now I think in her mind his clothes are scattered in the different places with hers. I don't want to remind her I donated his clothes. It might be painful to remember.

Every single dresses and clothes, shoes, her names on it... Some dementia persons go trough their closet or dresser everyday! When you have to put away her clothes to her room do it when she's not there.... So she doesn't confusing someone else?

Jessie, was that side of the closet your father's side for his clothes? Maybe that is what your Mom is remembering :)