My Mom collects my Dad's benefits (he passed 20 yrs). What happens to it when she passes?

In other words, does it automatically stop, or can a family member claim it. Mom was not working when dad passed.

19

Answers

the mothers daughter was asking what happens to her dads benefits after her mother dies, they stop, i am sure the mother collecting the benefits is collecting them as the spouse

my mother still collects my fathers benefits just like all wives do, please don't act like this women is stupid, it is not like she is a kid, she knows what she is saying

She wasn't specific, ejbunicorn.

ejbunicorn: You do not know that for sure, you believe they mean the mother has been collecting her benefits from when the father died. I thought so too when I first read the question, but read the question again, they want to know if another family member can claim it once both parents are gone. Most of us know that can not be done, they did not seem to be aware of that, therefore it does make you wonder if they just continued to let the checks come in from the father after his death, not realizing they needed to contact social security and they would have issued the money to the mother. Our reply to the question was a legitimate one. If you ever worked for Social Security you would be surprised at what you see.

come on holycow and n1k2r3 of course she means collecting his benefits as his spouse, really?

Be specific. As HolyCow stated: I hope you mean that she is collecting her share as his spouse, and not that they have been paying benefits to your father for the past twenty years since he has been dead.
When two married persons receive individual S S checks, and one person dies, the S S Administration will usually give the greater check to the surviving spouse. No need to figure.
I personally, would not let the funeral home contact the S S Administration. Trust no one, and check the date-of-death on the Death Certificate, signed by an Attending Physician.

When you say that "your Mom collects your Dad's benefits" I hope you mean she is collecting her share as his spouse and not that they have been paying benefits to your father for the past 20 years that he has been dead. If this is the case, you will have a problem as they are going to want that money repaid to them.

When my father died we had to report his death to everyone, Social Security, His Union, banks etc. My mother was then set up to receive benefits under her name from his social security and his pension. When my Mom dies, everything stops, even though I am their disabled child and full time care giver. Benefits do not just go on forever they cease at the death of both spouses.

N1K2R3 that is what I was told when I checked into it for my ex-husband's mother. The funeral direction contacts the SS administration.

Not all pension payments cease when the benefactor dies. Social Security does unless a minor child is involved. Some pensions are written to include spouse for her life and minor children.

There's no maybe, Charles. Social Security benefits and Pension payouts cease when the benefactor dies. Hint: If the benfactor dies on a day in any given month where the S.S. payout has already been received, then, believe it or not, the S.S. Administration will take back the payment asap. My mother died on the last day in February, and her Social Security check had already been deposited into her checking account. By March 3rd, it was gone. I didn't even know that they knew she was deceased. They'll zap it out electronically.
If you die on the last day of any month, they consider you dead for the whole month.