My Mom (93) has a problem with sight, she can't see her meds. Advice?

So I finally took an empty coffee can black top she can see them. She feels a little more independent and I can put the can out She sees them a little but it helps hope this helps someone I am going nuts

19

Answers

Your profile says your mom's primary ailment is incontinence. If she has incontinence and is unable to see her meds, I would consider providing her more around the clock care, so her meds and hygiene can be handled.

pillpack website

contact the local lighthouse for the blind. If her vision is that poor and her doctor agrees, then they will give her lessons on how to set up pills and things around the house to make it easier to manage. There are also bumpy stickons that can go on the pill bottles this way you can put letters she can feel on the pill bottles. best of luck!

Easy answer. Use a cassette case to put her meds in. Sunday through Saturday slots. Get two of different colors-one for day and one for night. How do I know this? Because my mother was legally blind. IT IS NOT A MUSIC CASSETTE CASE. IT CAN BE OBTAINED AT CVS.

If your mom can still recognize colors, put her pills in different colored containers and mark them if they are the 'same' for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday etc etc so she knows she is taking the meds every day. If the times or pills or days are different I would go with what JoAnne 29 said. Great idea.

My Mom is 94 years now. I noticed she was missing taking her pills, still in pill organizer. I started giving her her pills myself. She is too old now and unable to remember, see. She did for me....so now it is my turn.

First, my Mom had an eye examine and its not her eyes (she had cateract surgery) its her Dementia.
Philips has a great dispenser that locks so the person can't play with their pills. It announces to take your pills. You push a large button and they are dispensed. managemypills/content/
medminder/pill-dispensers-2

there are pharmacy that will prepare her med in a small bag than you get stickers in put one be-be under it for morning meds under the sticker on the bag two be-be the next in so on

Can she distinguish colors and see well enough to distinguish the letters for different days?

We use color coded pillboxes, a different color for each day. Each little "tray" for each day is divided into categories for breakfast, lunch, supper and bedtime pills.

When you sort the pills for her, sort them by mealtime, then all she has to do is get the right little sectioned boxes.

But definitely do get her to an ophthalmologist for an eye exam.

And check the lighting in the area where the pills are normally kept, as well as where she sits during the day to ensure that there's adequate illumination. If she tries to read, encourage her to look at magazines such as Country and Country Extra which are primarily beautiful photos. Find the large print Reader's Digest magazines if they're still in publication.

I bought an electronic pill dispenser, maybe from Amazon that announces the pills delivery and will call you if the pills are not picked up. You load the medication in the machine every few weeks and they are delivered in small cups. It will dispense up to four times a day. Also, my Mom who is 96 battles eye problems. Her opthamologist said dry eyes are a problem with the elderly and cause as much damage to the cornea as glaucoma, etc. She may need moisrurizinf eye drops too.