Elderly mom believes all scams and has given away thousands. Any suggestions?

We've taken over her accts, but not sure who to take her to for help.

23

Answers

1 2 3
to ray lin stephens ---they make it hard to know where they are ..if you send money thru money gram or any other there is no way to track them ..i got scammed from a person in the u.s took over 600$ i report it to the F.B.I -- THEY NEVER DID ANYTHING NOTHING !!!!! I GAVE THEM ADDRESSES & IT WAS PHONEY MONEY ORDER THRU THE POST OFFICE BUT THEY WAS COUNTERFEIT there is no way to trac them if thru thru the computer is mainly i am talking about ..i wish i could but you cant all you can do for her is to supervise everything that knows a lot of ways to out smart them but the best bet i agree is to never write to them ..but i have been outsmarting them & love it ..i even got a phone # & called him a lot he was in florida when he claim he was in california ..the net they make sure you cannot catch them look at megan meier case
from what i have seen she the so called guy was next door so on the net NO way to tell i only understand the net side more than the others so i encourage everyone just not have anything to do with them ..if they only want to text forget it the best way to trust a person is if you see them call actually will not work it could be anyone on the other end .but they are to stupid & will tell you any excuse why you cannot talk to them ..also i got calls from a person that claim to be with microsoft ..so i took night class for computers so i also am microsoft certified ..the 1st certification i guess ..so well i asked this female wanna bee what is your microsoft career number ?? she gave me a phoney one i had google on so i typed it in & could tell from my # she had to be there for a very long time she missed maybe 4 to 6 more digits to what i have & she sounded young ..oh also my phne tells me the # that they call from ..it was a microsoft # though so i p*ssed her off some ..i asked her i want to talk to your supervisor plenty of timesso HE came on i asked him whats your career # well he hung up ..it is about the 3rd time they called me since i have been in school ..also they had my phone # & email address they asked me if i was on you computer i said yes they named off for me to do stuff ..they wanted to get me to give them my info on the computer so they can hack it ..it is possible to do that so i didnt keep track to what they wanted me to do ..so the next day i emailed my sister that works for a college so she called microsoft the right people & they say they do that the hackers but they never call you microsoft does not so get a call from them ----ASK THEM FOR THERE CAREER # = COMP00120299999 THIS IS A BOGUS # THE 9'S ARE A EXAMPLE SHOULD HAVE IT LIKE THAT AT LEAST ...BACK TO THE 1 SCAM THEY TOOK MY $$$ 600 OF IT IT WAS A SECRET SHOPPER THE PHONEY M/O I GOT FOR 800.00 I KEPT THE 200 I SENT THEM MY 600.00$ SO I CHECKED & THAT I FIGURED IT OUT TO LATE BUT IT WENT TO THE PHILIPPINES OR SOME WHERE IT WENT IT WAS NOT THE MONEY GRAM BUT THE OTHER DONT MATTER ..THEY CAN GO ANYWHERE CASH THAT MONEY EVEN DO IT ON THE PHONE ..SO WELL I DID GOOD HE WANTED ME TO DO MORE SO I DID ..OH I DID
THEY WANTED ANOTHER 600.00$ OR SO SO GUESS WHAT I DID I SENT THE A**HOLE
2.00$ 2 OF THEM HE SAID ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND ??? ALL THRU THIS THOUGH
I ASKED HIM IS THIS LEGAL HE ASSURED ME IT WAS TILLI FOUND OUT THE TRUTH ..BUT LIKE I SAI I FILED A REPORT ON LINE CAUSE I CALLED THEM UP & THEY TOLD ME TO DO IT ON LINE SO I DID THIS WAS 5 OR 6 YRS NOW OH I CAN FIND OUT I STILL HAVE THE EMAIL --IT WAS 5-11-12 BACK THAT LONG & ABOUT A WEEK LATER OR SO WELL WITH IN THE MONTH I WROTE TO THE FBI & NEVER HEARD ANYTHING ...IF IT WAS INTERNATIONAL NOT IN THIS COUNTRY THEY CANNOT DO ANYTHING AT ALL NO WAY !!!!! SO THAT IS WHY I WOULD LIKE TO BUT CANNOT REPORT THEM & 99% OF THEM ARE OUT OF THE COUNTRY ..I EVEN STILL HAVE MY COMPLIANT INFO WHEN I FILED A COMPLAINT TO THE F.B.I SO THAT IS WHY OKAY ..THIS MIGHT TAKE UP A WHOLE PAGE ..PLEASE PEOPLE READ THRU THIS & USE MY ADVISE I HAVE BEEN THRU IT PLENTY OF TIMES BUT ONLY GOT TAKEN 3 TIMES OUT OF OVER A HUNDRED @ LEAST I GOT A BAD STUFF FOLDER WISH I COULD SEND THEM ALL TO YOU THEN YOU CAN SEE SO THAT IS THE NET SIDE OF SCAMMERS BEST THING TO BE CAREFUL ..& IF THEY MAKE UP A LOT OF EXCUSES FOR SOMETHING IT IS A SCAM THERE'S A LOT IN DATING SITES EVEN FACEBOOK I OUT SMARTED A DUMB GIRL I COULD HAVE GOT IN TROUBLE SHE THOUGHT SHE HAD ME WELL SHE DID NOT PLAN THAT I UNFRIENDED HER & BLOCKED HER & SHE COULD NOT DO ANYTHING ..THERE WAS SOME NUDITY ON IT & I CAME OUT AHEAD I WONT DO THAT ANYMORE I WILL SAY TO BAD YOUR BORED SO MAKE SURE YOU LEARN TO UNFRIEND & BLOCK THEM ON F/B SO YOU GET SCAMMED THEY WILL GET THE BALL DROPPED ON THEM ON F/B CHECK OUT TO SEE IF THEY HAVE MUTUAL FRIENDS if not look t there postings if there is some history to it they are more likey okay & if they want something unfriend them block --learn to do that more legitimate than not & see where they are from if brand new then be more cautious so google that if you do not know that it will show you i just kind of figured it out the unblocking is where it says following then the block click on where you see message the 3 dots to the right click on that ..you will see different stuff to do ..that is how it is done so if wrong google it i had over 100 scams on facebook ..they do not want you to message them on the site or email cause you have proof there so if they want you to go to a messenger tell them no they want to scam you cause no proof but still cannot do anything i have been scammed since 2008 but i dont have records that far back ..so best thing to do is you dont know them leave it that way ...good luck

Has the OP been back since she posted 6 days ago?

I don't agree with meridianav - not at all.

You need to report this to your State Attorney General but I fear that if she has freely given away the money, there is little you can do to stop it. I know my mother got very upset when I tried to explain that these people on the phone were not her friends.

You can cancel her telephone - that would help some, but kind of like locking the barn after the horses got out. You can also request a new phone number and explain how the current number is costing your mother a fortune in handouts.

It's pitiful how the elderly are preyed upon. And it's everywhere.

Scammers prey on the elderly! Put blocks on her phone.

Sorry to hear what happened. I know its tough. Seniors are so vulnerable to these types of scams. I would try and take control of the money. Or use a call blocker on her phone. Or use call display feature. My friend's dad will not answer the phone unless he recognizes the call display or let all calls go to the answering machine for screening.

i tried th PCH LOTTERY THING ONE TIME THAT WAS IT NEVER AGAIN

Years ago I chose not to renew magazine subscriptions. They sell your name. PCHouse probably does too. I rarely get junk mail.

Falling for tele-marketers was one of the things that led me to find out that my husband has Alzheimer's. For now, I put caller ID on the phone, he won't pick it up unless it says it is a family member or friend. Poor guy is so afraid to be taken in again. I just keep reminding him that if it is important they will leave a message and we will all them back. For today, it is working. Most everyone calls me on my cell phone so the only ones that call the house are scammers, and the occasional Doctor or Dentist office. I am not sure about the mail because he usually gets it before I do. I do electronically monitor his bank account and so far no more red flags. We have been married only about 17 years and we have always had separate accounts.

This is why I feel
Telemarketers need to be illegal. I told my Mom to tell them that her daughter's handles her money. The no call list is a joke. They allow charities, political calls, surveys and people u have done business with. Junk mail, if they send a postage paid envelope I send the sheet showing her address and write on it to take Mom off their mailing list. If no envelope , I go online and email the companies. Like the cell Idea only allowing the calls that are on the contact list. Problem with that , though, is my Mom could never learn how to use a cell phone.

I think taking over her financial matters is about the best thing you could've ever done. I'm not sure you'll ever recover what she lost to scams, but you can help her build a savings and start over. Since she's probably on some form of social security income, you can open and able account for her and sock away all of her extra money in there. Research each state with an able program and choose the right one for you. Tennessee is free but has no debit card, Ohio has a debit card but cost 2.50 per month and several others cost much more. Take your pick among be able accounts in each state and jumpstart her savings. Able accounts tend to be interest bearing and have multiple investment options. If you don't want to lose anything, call the state able account in which you were trying to apply and ask what to select to avoid losing any money and they'll tell you. Able accounts are pretty new, you may want to take advantage of them but you can only have one in any state but not one per state, just one per person

1 2 3