What happens when they have begun to have hallucinations?

I thought it was a UTI, but the urine test comes back ok. It has happened three times

Go see a good neurologist, get a brain image and then have a long chat.
My mom (91) has had such episodes in the last year and she has dementia. I've narrowed down what I think has caused her hallucinations: pain killers when she was having back issues in terms over being over medicated - even too much over the counter pain relievers seemed to cause it. Once she was off them she was herself again. Another reason I think It happens is because she is sleep deprived due to anxiety she brings on herself for reasons unknown - once she relaxes and gets caught up on her sleeping she's fine again. Only once was it a UTI and it was a slight infection. For the most part I found that if she takes strong meds on top of her regular meds she's not herself. Her doctor prescribed an anxiety medication, low doseage that is to be taken only in case of such episodes which simply calms her to the point that causes drowsiness and then she sleeps. Now I'm able to see an episode starting and when that happens I soothe her by praying for her, breathing exercises and sometimes giving her a warm shower. I have found that pain or fear will sometimes cause her to get agitated which is my cue to soothe her before a full blown anxiety attack happens. She always gets agitated when she has a doc visit, fearing the worst even if it's just a routine visit. Sometimes I can get her to recognize that she's working herself up and she will calm herself. I now know her body can't handle lots of meds other than what she normally takes and I always make sure I know what the side effects are when she has to take something new. Hope this helps.
Look up all the drugs/ medications that shes taking , they all have serious side effects! ....
Talk to your mother's neurologist. My mother would hear the TV speaking to her when it wasn't on and hear phones ringing.
Whatever you do, don't tell your mom what she is seeing is not there. I found that talking about what she was seeing, people in the bedroom, etc, would not hurt her and that i would stay with her to make sure she was ok, leave lights on, pray, watch something light on TV. I noticed that when my mom asked to go to bed early, she had less episodes, if I tried to keep her up, it was worse.
My mother would hallucinate things like spiders on the wall, hear knocking on the door, etc. - it was mainly when she was on the med sertraline. I'd check the side effects on her meds & ask her dr. if her meds could be causing it.
If she was on gabapentin or (neurontin), that is well known for causing hallucinations. My mother was beside herself because "something was hanging on her back door" and she was frightened. As soon as we stopped the medication and it metabolized out of her system, all the bizarre side effects from that medication stopped. Talk to her doctor because there are several medications that treat anxiety and sleep disorders in one pill. My mother takes Seroquel, which is typically not a sleeping pill, but it has worked beautifully. It actually treats depression and other psychiatric issues.
My mother is 91 and sees people who are not there, usually small boys and people rehearsing for a show! The dementia nurse said not to worry unless she gets scared or distressed. At present she finds it quite interesting and we often discuss the little boys, where they live etc. I never try to tell her they dont exist
Well at 92 years, she probably has some dementia. If you don't have that diagnosis yet, at this point, notify her doctor about the hallucinations and go from there. Wish her another birthday from me!
A couple things could be causing this. First of hallucinations are very common in dementia patients, also does your mom have macular degeneration by any chance? People with macular deg also experience these. My mom has had Macular for over 20 years and has had many episodes. More recently she developed dementia she is 92. With the dementia has come many episodes one recently where she was sure the doctor who just visited the home she lives in was dead out in the yard. She was upset for several hours about it. I have noticed an increase in her anxiety lately so the doc is starting her on an anti anxiety med to see if it will help. Sometimes there are no clear answers or solutions to the problems our loved ones face and that is the frustrating part of this journey.My best to you and mom.