Mom (83) with congestive heart failure using exercycle gets chest pains. I feel she should not be doing this exercycle thing, am I wrong?

My younger sister, about a month ago, got our 83 yr old mother an exercycle which she is trying to use but when she peddles for more than 10 minutes gets chest pains. The Dr prescribed her nitro and told her not to bicycle for more than 10 minutes at a time. She is overweight, has congestive heart failure, only 1 kidney and bad knees and has never exercised. My sister is pushing her to exercise so they can fly to visit her 80 yr old sister for her B'day in August. She will have a wheelchair waiting at the airport and while visiting but my sister feels she needs to get into better shape for the trip.
I feel she should not be doing this exercycle thing at all...am I wrong?

20

Answers

Well mom told me today she canceled the appt on Friday...she says she is fine and doesn't need oxygen-that the oximeter says her oxygen is 92 on up even after walking around and doing exercise...I give up..she is an hour away and I only visit once a week. She also refuses to come live w. me as she says she can take care of herself....so she is back to bicycling 10 minutes and says she has not had any chest pains since. I will just make the best of the time we still have together and Let go and Let God. Yup mom hasn't flown in a few years and last time she got real upset cause she has metal in her knee so they had to pat her down and so yeah maybe she will get upset and won't be allowed on the plane. She already has edema in her legs but this is a freight train that has left the station and I can't stop it.
Reply to floridagardener

floridagardener, when the the last time your Mom had flown? If it has been prior to 2001, then it will be a whole different ballgame for Mom.  Seats are narrower, the aisle down the center of the plane is also much narrower.  No in-flight lunch or dinner like they had years ago on the longer flights.

I wonder how she would react to TSA Officers searching her carry-on and purse. And how would she react to the Officer doing a required pat down or body scan? Something as simple as a metal belt buckle, or wearing a lot of jewelry can trigger an alarm.

Also, Mom would need to pack any liquids/creams in small travel size bottles that would hold only 3.4oz. If Mom uses hair spray the container can only be 3.4 oz.

Oxgyen, as per TSA website: "Personal medical oxygen cylinders are permitted through the screening checkpoint, however, the Federal Aviation Administration considers personal medical oxygen cylinders to be hazardous materials. You are not permitted to carry your own oxygen in the aircraft cabin. Please contact your airline for instructions on arranging oxygen service. Airlines are not required to provide oxygen service and many do not."

"Per the Federal Aviation Administration, certain portable oxygen concentrators are permitted onboard the aircraft, including Inogen One, Sequal Eclipse, Airsep Lifestyle. See a list of Portable Oxygen Concentrators that meet FAA specifications for inflight use"

If your Mom or your Sister get into a verbal altercation with a TSA Officer, they won't be flying that day.

The tickets have already been purchased, BUT if mom now has some change in her medical status, if she now needs oxygen or if her doctor says she is not well enough to fly, I think your sister can get a refund. Don't let the ticket be a deciding factor. Do what is bet for Mom (as far as you can determine that.)
Reply to jeannegibbs

Seems your sister is in denial about Mom. If the doctor says a plane ride is not good for Mom, get a note from him/her stating this. Maybe extra ticket can be used for Moms sister to visit her. If she can't go, ask if a family member can video the important parts.

Driving with sats 80s. She is a timebomb.

Skipping Lasix might avoid going to the bathroom, but could also contribute to edema in her lower limbs, while sitting on the flight. She can pump her ankles and alternate raising her feet and lower limbs, but I would still be concerned about edema. Does your sister understand that she could go into CHF from the excess fluid?

If her SAT rate drops into the 80's when she's up, she should already be on oxygen. If I recall correctly, she's seeing a PCP but not a pulmonary doctor yet? She really needs to be on oxygen.

I have a really uncomfortable feeling about this trip.

I have already begged and pleaded w.my sister to not do this trip but she already bought the tickets...yes the 80 yr old is in much better shape and can travel to FL. This was a surprise gift from my sister and I know she means well but mom also only has 1 kidney and has to wear depends when traveling that much. She will skip her lasix to keep from having to run to the bathroom
and that puts even more stress on her heart. Mom mentioned to me that her fingertips get numb and her pulse looks very irregular on the oximeter. I will mention to the GP that she should also be referred to a pulmonary dr as well. My dear sister just does not understand that mom should not be traveling. It could end up being a disaster that could ruin her own sisters B'day. Yes her oxygen drops to the 80's when she is up and walking around her own house and she always seems out of breath when outside in this Florida heat. She can still drive and make it from her car and walk into her house but then must sit down and rest. She says she can get up from a wheelchair ride up to the airplane door and walk to her airplane seat. Luckily it is a nonstop flight at night but it will be a very stressful day of traveling for her. If I can get mom on oxygen then maybe my sister will realize that trying to ad oxygen to the trip will make it a very cumbersome situation.
I know they are not traveling first class and are only taking carry on luggage.
Thanks everyone for the input.
Reply to floridagardener

Knowing her activity sats seems to explain a lot. Good pick up Florida. There is time to get her in shape as long as you can get all appointments in on time to qualify for oxygen . She will need to show a Sat of less than 88% for up to 5 minutes to qualify either resting or with activity.  Keep expressing the deadline when the appointments are made to qualify her for oxygen. Otherwise delay the flight. She will start having symptoms during flight if things are not worked out. Oxygen levels are always lower inside the plane so she may need a slightly higher dose of an extra liter per minute in flight.  All of the planning for oxygen needs can be worked out with her supplyer who should be able to guide you for the airlines. Once that is fixed, her workouts should improve including her quality of life in general.

Another option is for someone who's Skype literate to arrange for them to "meet" through Skyping. If there are Skype literate people who can help each one of them and facilitate that, they can connect in the future as well.

It's a lot safer than traveling.

I am not in favor of your Mom flying on the plane to see her 80 year old sister, but I made the suggestions that I did because I am very concerned that your dear, sweet, "misguided" sister is going to try to take your Mom to see her sister NO MATTER WHAT. So I wanted you and your Mom to be prepared in case your sister does attempt the plane trip.

If your Mom's 80 year old sister is in better health, maybe she can come see your Mom. How far apart do they live? Could you arrange a meeting somewhere in-between?

I am glad that you are checking your Mom's oxygen saturations (O2 Sats). What are your Mom's O2 Sats when she is resting and when she is walking?

Normal range is 94-100%. However, some doctors don't get concerned until the O2 sats are in the high 80's. If your Mom's O2 sats are in the 70's while walking, then she definitely needs oxygen.

Keep a chart of your Mom's activity along with the Oxygen Saturation during the activity and show the information to the doctor on Monday. It will help him understand what is going on better, and also, ask him what HE THINKS of your Mom taking a plane trip to see her 80 year old sister. I hope that you and your sister can find a "Happy Medium" so that your Mom can see her Sister this summer. Good Luck.
Reply to DeeAnna