Can memory care premiums be used for ADL tax deductions? - AgingCare.com

Can memory care premiums be used for ADL tax deductions?

My mom went into Memory Care a year ago. And since she was only there for 2 months in 2016, I didn't pursue tax deductions. However, now that she has been taken care of for a year, I was wondering if her premiums paid to the MC facility can be deducted due to her ADL (Activities of Daily living)? I have checked the IRS guidelines, but it is not clear to me. They help with giving her meds everyday, helped her get dressed, help with showering. Does anyone know what type of documentation you need for that, and if it qualifies? Thanks!

3

Answers

The facility should hand you a paper on what part of the rent is tax deductible. I send that paper to Mom's tax accountant among with a spreadsheet of the following expenses..
Monthly rent for which the deductibles apply
Insurance premiums
Co pays
Drug co pays
Rehab co pays if applicable

This MC facility is a per day/month cost with everything included - room & board, meals, help with meds and everyday needs. It is not broken down by each activity, like assisted living is where you can add items at an additional cost. I will have my mom's HRblock tax person dig more into it. Unless anyone else has more information. Thanks for the info -

I think what you're asking is " are fees paid to memory care facility deductible as a medical expense?". Is that correct?

Care has to be prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner, and the cost of care ( I believe the room and board portion is not deductible) must be greater than some percentage of your AGI. I think it's 7.5 for 2017.