My 96 year old father lives with me. He is slowly declining mentally as well as physically. At night, when I am ready to sleep, he babbles...loudly. He calls out for my deceased mother and his deceased sister. He thinks he needs to leave. He yells. He seems to be caught between dream stage and awake stage. This lasts for about an hour and a half before he doses off only to begin again... loudly...in a couple of hours. Has anyone had any luck using melatonin for their elderly loved ones? If so, what dosage? Help! I am so sleep starved, I can't remember my name! Thank you for any help!

I take 5 mg nightly of the tablets that dissolve in the mouth and within 20 minutes I am relaxed. I spend some quit time reading before turning off the light. It does not last the entire night but as long as the room is dark I can fall back to sleep.
Obe other thing is that blue light tends to wake me faster. I changed night lights to a different color
Twatson Apr 29, 2020
Thank you for your response! I appreciate the reminder about blue lighting, too. :)
(0)
I'm giving my mom 3mg of melatonin every evening around 9pm. I use the sublingual spray one (6 sprays). It works very well. I hope this can help.
Reply to Arwen31
Twatson Apr 28, 2020
Yes it does!! Thank you for your response...Dr. gave me green light with melatonin...but I so appreciate hearing 1st hand accounts what has worked for everyone. :)
(2)
Have turkey for dinner; it has naturally inducing sleep qualities.

Don't feed him anything with caffeine for dinner, minimize sugar from afternoon on, don't watch news or other agitating programs in the evening. Spend it relaxing, watching nature or animal programs, something that's restful.

Put some relaxing music on as well. CDs of waves lapping on the shore, soft winds, harp music and other soothing sounds help induce a calmer mood before bedtime. There are some specific CDs for inducing sleep; I don't recall the name of the genre though...sleep inducing? relaxation?
Twatson Apr 27, 2020
Those are great ideas! Thank you!
(0)
I don't think there is any harm trying a small dose of melatonin but sleep deprivation was what sent me to the doctor looking for a solution, for my mom (and me!) mirtazapine was a miracle drug.
Twatson Apr 27, 2020
Thank you! I will investigate this further!
(0)
My dad uses melatonin to help him sleep. It’s a natural product of the human body to help with sleep. My dad does this with his doctor's blessing. What it doesn’t do is calm agitation. This is something to talk with your dad's doctor about, there will likely be a medication that can help with this. It must be scary for your dad to go through this nightly, I hope his doctor will have a good plan to help with calming him.
Reply to Daughterof1930
Twatson Apr 27, 2020
Yes, I agree...I want to calm him and make him comfortable safely. Thank you!
(0)
Twatson, I can remember being sleep deprived when my first child was born and it isn't pretty. Like BarbBrooklyn has wisely suggested, do not give your father any supplements unless you speak to his doctor first if he is on any other medications. Supplements are also chemicals and many do interact with prescription meds. Also, melatonin is not a sleeping pill. Our bodies produce it naturally when it is dark out, signaling that it it time to sleep. Nor is it a relaxant. So even if it got him to sleep it won't keep him asleep. If your dad's circadian cycle is off, his melatonin production may also be off and melatonin supplements may or may not be any help. Contact his doctor first to discuss options.
Reply to Geaton777
Twatson Apr 27, 2020
Thank you...I feel this is good advice. I will make the call today.
(0)
Have you spoken to his doctor about good medication options for your dad?
Twatson Apr 27, 2020
Not yet...it's hard to get him in because of everything going on. Plus, I dont want to expose him. I will, however, call his dr. today. Perhaps they can recommend something over the phone ...he has regular 3-month check-ins.
(0)