Is there a medication my mom with dementia can take to stop the mucus? - AgingCare.com

Is there a medication my mom with dementia can take to stop the mucus?

My mom had pnuemonia. Now she has mucus in her lungs and needs alot of suctioning. She has dementia. Is there a med she can take to stop mucus?

7

Answers

It can take awhile. My mom had pneumonia in hospital a week back to nursing home. She is 90 yrs old. Speech therapy evaluated her in hospital and nursing home for several months. My mom had what she called phelmn in throat and couldn't cough it up it was frustrating for her. She was on pureed foods for 3 months. Glad your mom is in hospital best place and that she is getting better. Hang in there it's scary and takes time.

It's a very long recovery process. Your mom will have mucous and coughing for weeks afterward but she should improve. She's made it through hopefully the worst part and is on the road to recovery. Thank goodness she is in the hospital being taken care of.

The cough assist machine is part of my job. It tends to work for neuromuscular diseases where patients have a difficult time generating a cough due to muscular weakness such as quadroplegia, or ALS. If your mom has a fair cough then the machine will not do much since mucus is still just brought to the back of the throat and she still will need suction. Thin mucus is most difficult to raise and thick mucus is the easiest to bring forward.
You may also find that until she only requires suction once every 4 hours then rehab services may decline taking her. It all depends on the rules of the facilitiy and how much specialized nursing care is needed.
She may have to wait for inflammation from the pneumonia to resolve which may take weeks. Has she been assessed by Speach therapy yet?

Thanks for your responses guys.

She is still in hospital... I'm trying to see if there is anything that can be done..she has been here 3 weeks.no longer has pneumonia but mucus won't go away. I wanted ask about a cough assist machine. I just don't know anymore

If it's causing you both distress - you because it's a horrible job, your mother because she can't grasp what's happening and gets frightened - then speak to your mother's doctor and ask for help relieving her symptoms. But don't use over the counter remedies without medical supervision.

Tracey those meds can dry up mucus very well but they also can cause life threatening plugs in the lungs. If you are suctioning it may because of her inability to swallow which means it accumulates in the back of the throat. Until she gets stronger she will need suctioning