Medicare for totally disabled. Any suggestions?

My wife became total disabled in 1998 and has been on SS since that time and insured through my work insurance policy the entire time. As I am preparing to retire, she went to apply for her Medicare and was informed that she would have to prove coverage the entire time or pay a penalty monthly on her premiums. Since we are talking 20 years and several jobs later that task has proved impossible due to business closing and corporate red tape. What alternatives do we have?

You should be able to contact the work insurance company directly. They can provide Proof of Coverage for the time needed.
Could not provide with out the policy numbers. I had several job changes as the company I worked for got bought out. Thanks though. Tried contacting for two years so far.
I'd consult with a Social Security attorney.
Do you have any old statements issued from the insurance carrier for amounts paid for your wife? They might have policy numbers.
Wonder why so long a period? I could see the time from when you turned 65 (or whatever your Medicare determined retirement age to collect your full SS). Are they saying your wife had to be on Medicare since her disability payments began?
Shane1124: Yes, that is what they are saying, that she should have signed up two years after disability. So for not using government program to pay for health care and paying for it ourselves they want to charge a penalty! Seems like it should be the other way, that since we did not claim for 20 years! Bizarre system that penalizes disabled persons on fixed income for not utilizing system. I contacted every insurance company (employers switch each year to keep premiums lower) and employer (those who still exist since two have been bought out) with no luck. I have my W2's with insurance premiums being deducted. That should be enough. I guess nobody from SS Admin monitors this site.
Talk to a disability attorney.
They are saying you need proof for all those years because if she didn't sign up and should have there would be a penalty. 10% per year. That penalty only goes until she turns 65 then it starts over if she doesn't enroll at 65 and goes for life. Provide all the proof you can from past employers. Do you have income tax returns going back that far? You could get employer information from that and if they are out of business produce proof of that to SSA. Good luck with this. I made the mistake of delaying because my husband had insurance though his active current employment, but then was given seamless retirement insurance and that didn't count. Had to prove all the years I was eligible to sign up for Medicare and didn't was covered. Had to pay a 20% penalty for 2 years until I turned 65. It is very confusing to people and I think if they are going to make these rules that they should be requiring proof of insurance coverage every year and not making people come up with several years worth of proof later. Possibly contact SSA and asked what kind of proof they will accept for places that are no longer in business.