I’m so confused! I have read on the site that Medicare will cover durable medical equipment if it is necessary for the safety and quality of life for a person. I have rented a Hoyer portable lift for my husband to enable me to get him out of bed and into the wheelchair. It’s costing us $106 a month. The one we had before was $135.00. I’ve also purchased a Geri-chair and a sliding shower bench. How do I talk to Medicare to get reimbursement and/or coverage? What do I need from our physician? Thanks!

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
I am surprised that the people you are renting from didn't ask about Medicare or your suppliment.
Helpful Answer (1)

Any durable medical equipment has to have a prescription from a doctor. To get Medicare to pay for it, you have to use a Medicare supplier. You may not be able to get reimbursed for amounts already paid if before the prescription or from a non-medicare supplier. Start with doctor to get a prescription for the equipment - if you have home health, see if they will do a needs assessment and get you the prescription. Then get a list of the suppliers that accept Medicare in your area.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter