Can Medicare collect expense reimbursements from Mom estate after the lawyers told us it was okay to collect? - AgingCare.com

Can Medicare collect expense reimbursements from Mom estate after the lawyers told us it was okay to collect?

Mom has been in nursing home since 2012 I live 4 hours away; the lawyers told the family that normal travel expense (mileage, lodge food) could be reimbursed. But now Medicare is asking for these monies back in order for mom to qualify. Can they do that? Am I in danger of her not qualifying if I don't pay the monies back? I wouldn't have done this if not on the advice of council from one of the top lawyers on Elder care. I don't have the month to give back.
Confused

2

Answers

I agree, I think you mean Medicaid. And yes, contact the Elder Care lawyer you spoke with before. And if you have documentation of expenses, have it ready for questions or review.

I think you mean Medicaid. What documentation did you provide as to these expenses? What does the lawyer say?

• MFP through Medicaid is a special program that helps seniors avoid being institutionalized. The grant money has allowed states to set up an infrastructure to determine which nursing home patients are most likely to benefit from a move from an institutional setting.
  • Applying for Medicaid for an aging parent can be tricky. One caregiver describes his personal experience navigating the system.
  • It can be difficult to determine whether certain assets count toward Medicaid's $2,000 limit. As always, classification of countable and exempt assets varies from state to state, but retirement accounts can complicate Medicaid planning even further.