Can a sibling with medical POA prevent other siblings from seeing a parent?

My elderly mother is in the hospital. My sister has Power of Attorney for Health Care and has directed the staff not to let me see my mother.

21

Answers

1 2 3
My brother has POA, but my mom lives with me. He seems to think that he has control of everything, including her monthly social security checks. The thing is, I take care of her every day and night and he doesn't even come to see her. It seems to me like he is waiting for her to die. Then to top it all off, my mom has severe Alzheimer's and he wants me to believe that my mom granted him POA. She was declared legally incompetent two years ago. So does he POA mean anything?

Dear Sjk911
2 years ago you posted here saying:
"Absolutely not. It's against the patient bill of rights whether or not she is competent. No one can stop you from seeing your mom! Period" 
I loved your response! I am curious though - What part of the bill is it against? I also am in Canada and this is what I have to go on: http://ondri.ca/sites/default/files/HSF%20Patient%20Bill%20of%20Rights.pdf
and my thinking is you are in the U.S. ( I had to use a U.S. zip code to sign in to the site) so maybe we have different bills of rights. Please accept my thanks in advance for your time and any reply you may have.

My brother doesn't care for my mum, he controls her. Now he has power of attorney I guess he'll be worse. I'm no allowed to take her out in her wheel chair, he says 101 things could go wrong. I know she just goes along with him to keep the peace.

Usually a Health POA is only going to come into play if your mother is too ill to make her own decisions. I had that for my mom and the decision making didn't turn over to me until she had her strokes and then a massive stroke where she couldn't talk clearly or even know what was going on around her. And to be forced to make the decision to stop giving her food and water because she could no longer swallow and at 92 the doctors said she wouldn't recover. That was when I wished it was anyone else but me that had to make that decision. And it still bothers me..... I wish you luck.

I would also like to add that is the NH accepts Medicaid it is an open facility meaning the can not exclude people from coming unless there is an RO in tact.

FYI my mother BP range is 250+/100, trying to get it under control, couple that with dementia, and perhaps that helps to explain why we are concerned. She really can not handle the chaos, it just may very well kill her.

Sorry for the typos, phone has a mind of it's own.

@Missmac except that this is not the case in every situation. My brother & I consulted with the NH on my difficult brother regarding allowing him to visit as we really don't want to be in the position we are in.

It was explained to us that they do not have adequate staff to piece these issues, that the normal course of action if he shows up and creates a disturbance is to call the police which the want no part of as this will not allow disrupt my mother but all the resdents as most are in the same situation as her.

Odds are that he will cause a distrubsnce, he already did at her apartment building when denied acres by the staff (nothing to do with us, as I can't gain entry either.)

We have tried repeatedly to have rational conversations with him, to no avail. Therefore we have no other option. I am not happy about it as I would love for him to be able to visit as someone here said "in the winter of her life", but I am terrified of what will happen.

A medical power of attorney is for medical decisions when a patient is incompetant or incapacitated, and cannot make a reasoned decision or contribute to their own care plan. Restricting visitation because the patient needs to rest is one thing. Barring a child by another child of the parent requires a no contact order which is usually only granted in circumstances where the patient would be mistreated or in danger from said contact with the questionable person. Supervision of a visit by another trusted family member or friend may be a better compromise than court action or pitting the care staff against other family members. A child still has the right to relationship. Within boundaries. The hospital administration or security is there to ensure everything remains legal respectful and non violent. They have jurisdiction over all things that interfere with patient care, and the safety of all present. They have a duty to protect staff and patients, first and foremost...above any family conflicts. Dont ask them to take sides unless safety or care is the true issue. Involving a mediator or miniaterial staff to help with old family wounds may be a better approach.

troubleathome: I can't imagine that your sister is being, for lack of better words, hateful at the winter of your mother's life! Can you and she have a sit down to discuss this?

1 2 3