I know this sounds crazy but do you think medical marijuana should be discussed with a doctor to help an elderly person get an appetite and deal with depression? - AgingCare.com

I know this sounds crazy but do you think medical marijuana should be discussed with a doctor to help an elderly person get an appetite and deal with depression?

I know this sounds crazy but do you think medical marijuana should be discussed with a dr to help an elderly person get an appetite and help with depression? My mom is miserable and its breaking our hearts watching her wither away weight wise. She has no appetite it seems and is very depressed, Im desperate to try anything at this point as she won't go to therapy and someone suggested asking her dr about a medical marijuana "drink" they have on the market to help with her depression or lack of appetite. Any advice?

29

Answers

1 2 3
Medical marijuana can absolutely help and she doesn't have to smoke. There are oils that can be put in teas, and edibles that come in the form of candy and even nasal sprays. There are different strains for different ailments. If you want to give your Mom an appetite I suggest an "Indica". Also, look for something higher in CBD, rather than THC. This might help her be hungry without getting her "high". Good Luck

There is nothing crazy in trying MJ in this instance. Israeli doctors commonly prescribe it for people in nursing homes and assisted living facilities to help them with pain, increase appetite and improve mood.. What's crazy is all the years of MJ suppression in the USA.

As for "I'd always rather take a pill," that's what the pharmacology industry likes to hear but it seems silly to me to spend a lot of money imitating nature instead of growing something equally or more effective for next to nothing in my own backyard. BTW, most medical MJ is ingested in pastry, candy and and liquid form nowadays, rather than being smoked.

As for asking your doctor, most MD's are ill-informed about marijuana and many are irrationally prejudiced against it. Thanks to many decades of irrational suppression (supported by the law enforcement, correctional and pharmacology industries) most of us (including MD's) have little hard information about it but what little evidence we have strongly indicates that it is at worst, nearly harmless. That is more than we can say for the many marginally tested designer drugs big pharma pushes at us day and night.

I haven't personally needed medical MJ and haven't used MJ for recreation for maybe 30 years. But have seen it help many friends and neighbors with pain , nausea and sleep difficulties without negative side effects and at relatively little expense.

Zyprexa may cause heart failure, sudden death, or pneumonia in older adults with dementia-related conditions

ZYPREXA. If you need help to increase appetite, this stuff works! If you don't need help with it, look out! It'll give it to you anyway. I know--It was prescribed for me for a different problem before they finally figured that out, and I gained 100 pounds on the stuff! Not good for me, and I finally got it all back off with a lot of work AFTER I quite taking the stuff. It was prescribed for me again later, on a temporary basis, again for something else. Same thing happened to my appetite, only this time I knew what was going on and we stopped it as soon as it was clear that it was the Zyprexa.

Oh, dear. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. My condolences.

Before my mom died of cancer we talked to her doctor about Marinol the marijuana pill and he had absolutely NO problem with giving her anything that would help with the nausea and also improve her appetite. Turned out mom died before we could try the pill for more then a day or two, so we'll never know whether it would have helped her.

Medical Marijuana, or Canabis, is a very effective drug for the control of pain. It has other effects also, such as increased appetitie, elevated mood, and other good side effects for the human condition. Hopefully, it will be legalized in all fifty states in my lifetime. In order to control abuse, it should be handled like any other controlled substance. It should be prescribed, taxed and distributed with a prescription by a medical doctor or an NP.

I'm not sure why it sounds crazy...appetite stimulation is one of the prime uses of medical marijuana, and in proper doses, it's safe for any age. Funny how someone said they'd always rather take a pill, since most FDA drugs have pretty serious side effects. One of the biggest "side effects" of marijuana is "the munchies", which is exactly what you want!

Oh, and it cured my depression too.

It depends on what state you're living in. If it's legal where you are, of course you should try it.

my Mom what little she does eat is not good food. We are all very conscious about the food we eat but she likes junk and tons of carbs but her diet mainly these days seems to consist of soup soup and more soup which doesn't sit right with me because its all low cal and high in salt, not real food by any means. I just took her out today and got her to eat a giant cheeseburger and fries and believe me that was a struggle but she did it. Its odd because if the food is put in front of her she will eat it, she might complain a bit but she will eat it, but left on her own, she is either forgetting to eat or choosing not to. The ensure drinks she drinks doesnt help matters because I dont care what the labels say,t hey are not real food and I think she kind of uses them as an excuse not to have to eat. She is just not understanding that the nasea she is feeling is probably due to her not eating because after she eats the nasea goes away in most cases. Its getting her to consistantly eat that is a challenge for us. She cannot afford to lose any more weight.

1 2 3