Where to find a medical alert system without monthly payment? - AgingCare.com

Where to find a medical alert system without monthly payment?

Hi There,

I have been using alert1 for awhile, but recently my liabilities increase as my daughter suddenly got divorce. I am not sure how long will this last, but I plan to replace my mom's medical alert to the one without monthly subscription fee. I am fine with any brand as long as they carry the panic button necklace, and I also do not mind if the new system can only contact my phone number and some other numbers. Thank you

20

Answers

What is elderly waiver?

If your mother needs a personal alarm system, why are you paying for it anyway?

RadioShack Personal Emergency Phone Dialer 49-2559R Plug N Power Pendant Alarm around $24.99.

If your mom qualifies for the Elderly Waiver, they will pay for the Life alert or whatever brand you use. You need to go to your local DHS and ask about applying.

COA suggested a company. It still is a box & pendant for about $25/month. Has to be in a central location. If no one answer within a few minutes they dispatch 911. Now we have jitterbug with Alarm*5 flip phone. My Mom can still use cell phone. If she accidentally hits that alarm button it calls her then me but that & the cell phone cost as much as the single cell phone she had plus the monitor system so I opted for jitterbug & I could port her current number. Its about $70/month. Past cell phone was $45/month & monitor was $25/month so to me it worked out about the same. I think I've seen new ads that jitterbug has that are just necklace or bracelet & unit but I don't know anything more. Great Wall.com

Contact your local Aging Access Point. They may be able to help set Mom up with a service package that includes her Alert system and the cost would be based on Mom's income.

I agree that it's not worth skimping on an alert system if the patient is at risk and/or lives alone. Mom has had frequent falls. Her system costs $51 per month, which is $38 for the basic fee and $13 extra for the upgraded pendant which detects a fall. Mom set off the alarm several times when she fell or slipped when getting out of bed to get to the bathroom during the night. The total of $51 per month is a lot less than people pay for basic cell phone service. Even though Mom has 24/7 care, we've kept the service because my brother and I will automatically be notified when there is an incident and her caretaker doesn't have to worry about notification. I visit Mom for a week or two every month, and I can go out to shop or work in the yard without worrying if Mom has a fall or other incident.

I ordered a simple alert for an aged aunt of mine from Walter Drake catalog. It is a suction cup grab bar for the shower and an alert alarm. The alarm can be removed from the grab bar and worn on an included lanyard. It's called Grip Alert on sale for $14. But it can only be heard if someone is in the same house it doesn't call anyone.

I would not recommend a cell phone. My MIL was talked into one thru her insurance company. She had to charge it every night and couldn't wear it in the shower.

I recall a previous post regarding the use of medic alerts that someone shared information on how her PD provided the alerts to vulnerable people.

Check with your fire and police department to see if they have any kind of assistance program for vulnerable adults that would provide free medic alert service.