Can Medicaid take all the money in joint bank accounts for nursing home care?

I have taken care of my father and he has lived with me for 7 years. About 4 yrs ago, he added me as a joint owner on his bank accounts. I also took care of my mother for 2 years before she passed. If I didn't take care of my father, he would be in a nursing home. If his condition worsens to the extent I can no longer care of him, can Medicaid take all of the money in the joint bank accounts for nursing home care? We live in NC. Thank you.

25

Answers

1 2 3
Is her monthly income enough to pay for the facility?

The thing is she has a good amount of money in her savings. Because she gave this money as gifts, she cannot go into a home. It's ridiculous.

Msviviangrace, money given away within 5 years before applying for Medicaid will disqualify the applicant for a period of time. There is no rule or law that the recipients have to give it back (in many cases it has long been spent) but that is one solution. Then the money would be used for Mom's care until it runs out, and then she would be eligible for Medicaid. Or family members (or friends -- anyone willing) can pay for mom's care until she is eligible for Medicaid.

Medicaid is a needs-based program. (I don't think it should be, but that is beside the point.) The purpose behind this 5-year lookback is to prevent someone from realizing they are going to need care and quickly giving their money away so they can say "I'm poor. I need financial help." The idea is they should use their own money for their own care as long as they can, and only call upon tax payers when their money runs out.

Please understand. I am NOT saying this is what your mother did. I believe that you knew nothing about such rules. Many folks wind up in this situation, without any intention of cheating taxpayers! But that is what the rule is about.

My mom is a widow. She is looking at going into an assisted living. A year ago she gave us 5 kids $5000, plus Birthday and Christmas money. She has $25,000 left. the home (PA) said she had to return this money before going in. a year ago we had no idea this would happen. Is this right? She gets a monthly income in

my husband is on Medicaid and in a nursing home with dementia. I'm having difficulty getting his social security direct deposited income (currently deposited to our joint checking account) transferred to his single account (required) without taking him in the social security office in person to make that request. He is not physically able to do this so does he have other options. I have a durable power of attorney that is not recognized by social security so what are his options at this point.?

talk to a lawyer experienced with elder care and Medicaid as all states are different

5 years look back

Please respond quickly so that nothing illegal is done?...

At this point we are not considering a nursing home, but may do so in the future.???

How far in advance do savings/checking accounts need to be transferred into or under someone else's name to avoid Nursing home from taking these funds. If funds are transferred to another account under someone's name other than patients name. Is there a time limit where this is acceptable to do & the money be safe?

1 2 3