If my name is on my mother's bank accounts would Medicaid take this into account?

she has some money she has been saving for me and my brothers for when she dies, i would hate it if we need help by using medicade that they would take this. can i transfer it all over to an account just in my name. i'm talking about say 30,000.

26

Answers

1 2 3
I have POA for healthcare and also one for finances.

I'm trying to find out about prepaying a funeral for her. We have a plot and headstone because she will be buried next to dad. Mom doesn't want a fancy funeral and has asked me to even just buy a casket on line.

Do I just work with a local funeral home to prepay?? Help!!

So if you're on a joint account and have been for over the five years do you have to report any of the money, even half, of the money when applying for Medicaid?

I could be wrong but once they go into a facility they will go for the money she has saved. They have a seven year look back. And I repeat I could be wrong. I found out that as long as they stay in their home you can get Medicare/Medicaid and get aides 24/7 if she needs it. I ended going to a elder care lawyer who helped a lot but we also paid for him. We ended up with a trust fund that we send money to every month and they pay my moms bills. If you have this Nysarc trust fund any money that is left over in the fund each month can be sent to a preplan funeral arrangement. In not a lawyer just some who has gone through all the stages.

Suzanne, purchasing clothes for your mother is allowed for spend-down. Your mother will need those clothes when she is in the facility

Medicaid will not take your money. You'll spend down to a certain amount required by your state. Then Medicaid will help supplement your mother's income each month to pay the nursing home. Medicaid never takes money, though it will count the money to see if she qualifies. Recovery is not done until after a person dies. There is usually no money if someone was on Medicaid, but there may be property.

You can check with a Medicaid representative if you wonder if something is allowed for spend-down. There is a broad spectrum of expenditures that are allowed -- personal, house, car, health, etc. Clothes should fit in well.

Can we purchase clothes for her to wear in the facility and pay out of her account during this 100 day period? If Medicaid is going to take the money we would like to purchase these things but I am not sure what they consider a reasonable amount.

My mother put her name and mine on her savings and checking in 2007. She is now in a long term facility Dec of 2015. We have applied for Medicaid so will they take the 50,000 that is in the joint account? Also we have not paid for any funeral arrangements. Should we be doing this now since she has started the 100 day period of paying $157.50 per day and Medicare paying the rest. After the 100 day period we will see if Medicaid will approve her.

My mother and I have a joint CD and a joint savings account (to pay for items when she owned a home...but it's been sold). Now we're in the spend-down phase. I feel that half the amount in the accounts should legally be mine. We've owned the accounts for at least 10 years.

3 years ago my mother gave me 10.000 now we to applow for medcaid

Carl - if I'm understanding this, you are trying to figure out how to best use the 200K your mom gave you over 5 years ago to help her in the future....correct? Now I think we've established that it's more than 5 years, so no Medicaid review worries. And that it is now your $. I would look into doing a "SPECIAL NEEDS TRUST", this will need to be drawn up by an attorney. SNT can be done so that the $ that funds the trust does not count as your mom's income or asset so that she can qualify for Medicaid. The trust could pay for a daily companion for her in the NH or for paying for the upgrade to a private room at the NH (Medicaid are usually shared rooms). The big ? is who is who owns the trust. Trusts are their own legal person and they live beyond whomever the trust benefits (this would be your mom). Now it could be evenly divided by the siblings or all to you & your spouse or you could name an charity or cause that would make your mom happy.
I was execturix for an aunt who left a very convoluted mess of an estate - lots of people expecting $$ - what I eventually did was to have it so that her estate left the $$ to a university scholar program and a charity. This totally deflated anyone's complaint about where the $$ went too. lmao. You know your family best and whether there would be mendacity and infighting over $$$ or even $. Good luck.

1 2 3