I know that if my income is too high for Medicaid in NY that I can spend down to the Medicaid limit, but if my spend down cannot reach that limit, can I "pay in" to Medicaid the difference to get within the Medicaid income limit?

I have Medicare, but i am low income and would like to be eligible for the Medicaid benefits as my health is deteriorating.
Reply to anonymous848324

Google "Miller Trust". A lawyer can create a Qualified Income trust where the excess income goes into a trust that reverts to the state upon the death of the person in the NH.

Look into a Miller Trust if it's your income (not your assets) that are too high.

Also, is it a single person applying for Medicaid, or part of a couple?
anonymous848324 Oct 5, 2018
A single person. Only income is Social Security and is higher than Medicaid
limit. Assets are within the Medicaid Max. amount.
Can deduct Health Insurance premiums from income, but still will not be within the Medicaid Max. income requirement.
In NYS you can pay back to Medicaid the excess amount of income to fall within the Medicaid limit.
I would like to know if can you "pay in" the excess amount after the spenddown to reach the limit.
(0)
Not likely.

I would refer to NY State Medicaid website FAQ or speak with someone.
The type of scenario you suggest doesn’t exist.

Why would you want to do that? Don't you have Medicare? I’d spend the $ on a supplemental. Unless you are seeking the additional benefits State Medicaid may provide.
Reply to Shane1124