Do I need a Medicaid planner to determine eligibility?

In my case, it is for my mother in law who lives in our home in Maryland but will need either home care or assisted living care in the near future. She has zero assets and montly income of less than 2,000 before taxes. She only has the Medicare part that is free (I can't remember which one it is).

I ask because I know there are waiting lists for assisted living care under Medicaid, but there is no waiting list for the Community First Choice Program for home care. I just wanted to make sure; this seems like a simple case but I know Medicaid is complicated. Thank you

15

Answers

I have a client who recently got medicaid. He is also a veteran and the VA is giving him 900 a month for home care. He has an aide 7 days a week- 5 to 6 hrs a day (thats all he needs). The aide comes from a medicaid agency. Since the 900.00 is income also along with SS he has a 500 dollar co- pay to the agency....He still comes out ahead and is allowed to stay in his home for as long as he can.

ferris1 is absolutely on target.
Ask your State Medicaid about their requirements, and do not trust anyone except the official agency for the facts.

Good advice from an elder affairs lawyer can be a must to avoid pitfalls. A person may be a beneficiary, insurance policy, stocks, etc. When the holder dies the person receiving medicaid could find their income jumping higher than allowed and loosing their medicaid.
I am in the process of changing beneficiaries to Payable-on-death and moneys go an estate so if I have another heart attack and croak my ADW will be protected. I just barley survive a recent heart attack and it has change my outlook on which of us will kick off first.

Check with your local Area Agency on Aging. Our's has free experts to help with such issues. Get in touch with their out reach social work department.
In MASS I think it is called the SHINE program.

Thank you, I appreciate your answer. There are conflicting answers on what happens to the VA benefit if Medicaid comes into the picture. I suppose I need to consult with an elder law attorney to make sure. I do want to apply for all the services that are available.

Depending on your monthly in come, you may have a co pay for services. In Virginia, for CBC, if your income is over 1200 a month you have a co pay. So, for example , if you get 1600 a month, you co pay is 1600-1200=400.

toxdoc49 You are correct the VA benefit will pay the facility directly. I was not aware that it was lowered if a person got Medicaid but I know when we calculate cost share the portion that is medical benefit and not the pension is not counted as income it is directed for care cost.
If we are calculating the Veteran's portion only the Pension portion counts as income.
Best of luck to you, it is always helpful to apply for all the services a person is eligible for .

Thank you all for your help. I have spent a lot of time on the VA aid and attendance application and am starting to look at Medicaid in relation to the VA benefit; that is where it can get complicated. I believe my mother in law is eligible for the full surviving spouse benefit, just have to deal with the risk of borrowing money to cover the assisted living cost while waiting for the VA benefit.
I have been told various things about what happens to the VA benefit if she gets approved for Medicaid. I know it does go down to 90 dollars a month, but I think the benefit is still in force, it just goes directly to the facility and not to the bank account anymore, and somehow Medicaid benefits are coordinated, but that may be an over-simplification.

Use Johnnie Peterson, insurance agent. He should be able to help you and he's in Maryland.

Aid and Attendance pays up to $1100 per month, but they do a 5 year look back now, same as Medicaid. If she gets Medicaid, the VA will reduce the amount they pay to no more than $90 a month.

You don't need an attorney to take your money if your assets are below $2000 in the bank, stocks, bonds, cash value of life insurance policies.
However the $ 2000 you speak of is INCOME not assets, Income comes in regularly and if it is not spent in 30 days it becomes and asset.
Contact your local agency on aging and get some advice and printed material on the waiver program you want to apply for.
Contact your local Veterans Service Office, Not the Fed VA but a local office. Get an application for Aide and Attendance for surviving spouse and see what she is eligible for. If she is eligible for some money from the VA it will help while she is on the wait list for Medicaid Waivers.
Good Luck.