Medicaid pays most of NH but Dad's SS and 401k monthly goes to the nursing home. Can he claim it on his taxes?

Asked by

My dad is in a nursing home for medical reasons. Can he claim it on his taxes?

Answers 1 to 3 of 3
Snicks, I am moving your question back closer to the front of the questions. Hopefully a caregiver with experience with this type of financial issue can answer your question.

Otherwise, you would need to contact a CPA or income tax preparer for an answer. With the recent U.S. Tax Reform put into law, there may or may not be any changes to this matter.
Top Answer
With my Mom, her SS and pension was a total of $1700. IRS had told her years ago to no longer file because she was considered low income because most of it was SS. I would call a CPA and see if he even needs to file.
Is it Medicaid that is paying, or is he in rehab and Medicare is paying, and dad is paying 20%?

It makes a really big difference.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support